Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Idle Army: America’s Unworking Men

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

The Idle Army: America’s Unworking Men

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-idle...men-1472769641

The Idle Army: America’s Unworking Men
    Millions of young males have left the workforce and civic life. Full employment? The U.S. isn’t even close.

By Nicholas Eberstadt
    Sept. 1, 2016 6:40 p.m. ET

Labor Day is an appropriate moment to reflect on a quiet catastrophe: the collapse, over two generations, of work for American men. During the past half-century, work rates for U.S. males spiraled relentlessly downward. America is now home to a vast army of jobless men who are no longer even looking for work—roughly seven million of them age 25 to 54, the traditional prime of working life.

This is arguably a crisis, but it is hardly ever discussed in the public square. Received wisdom holds that the U.S. is at or near “full employment.” Most readers have probably heard this, perhaps from the vice chairman of the Federal Reserve, who said in a speech last week that “it is a remarkable, and perhaps underappreciated, achievement that the economy has returned to near-full employment in a relatively short time after the Great Recession.”

Near-full employment? In 2015 the work rate (the ratio of employment to population) for American males age 25 to 54 was 84.4%. That’s slightly lower than it had been in 1940, 86.4%, at the tail end of the Great Depression. Benchmarked against 1965, when American men were at genuine full employment, the “male jobs deficit” in 2015 would be nearly 10 million, even after taking into account an older population and more adults in college.

Or look at the fraction of American men age 20 and older without paid work. In the past 50 years it rose to 32% from 19%, and not mainly because of population aging. For prime working-age men, the jobless rate jumped to 15% from 6%. Most of the postwar surge involved voluntary departure from the labor force.

Until roughly the outbreak of World War II, working-age American men fell into basically two categories: either holding a paid job or unemployed. There was no “third way” for able-bodied males. Today there is one: neither working nor seeking work—that is, men who are outside the labor force altogether. Unlike in the past, the U.S. is now evidently rich enough to carry them, after a fashion. The no-work life hardly consigns these men to destitution.

This is at least somewhat true throughout the affluent West, but the U.S. has led the pack. Not even in dysfunctional Greece or “lost generation” Japan has the male flight from work proceeded with such alacrity. The paradox is that Americans—those who do have jobs—are still among the rich world’s hardest-working people. No other developed society puts in such long hours, and at the same time supports such a large share of younger men neither holding jobs nor seeking them.

Who are America’s new cadre of prime-age male unworkers? They tend to be: 1) less educated; 2) never married; 3) native born; and 4) African-American. But those categories intersect in interesting ways. Black married men are more likely to be in the workforce than unmarried whites. Immigrants are more likely to be working or job-hunting than native-born Americans, regardless of ethnicity. High-school dropouts from abroad are as likely to be working or looking for work as native-born college grads.

What do unworking men do with their free time? Sadly, not much that’s constructive. About a tenth are students trying to improve their circumstances. But the overwhelming majority are what the British call NEET: “neither employed nor in education or training.” Time-use surveys suggest they are almost entirely idle—helping out around the house less than unemployed men; caring for others less than employed women; volunteering and engaging in religious activities less than working men and women or unemployed men. For the NEETs, “socializing, relaxing and leisure” is a full-time occupation, accounting for 3,000 hours a year, much of this time in front of television or computer screens.

Clearly big changes in the U.S. economy, including the decline of manufacturing and the Big Slowdown since the start of the century, have played a role. But something else is at work, too: the male flight from work has been practically linear over the past two generations, irrespective of economic conditions or recessions.

What we might call “sociological” factors are evident, not least the tremendous rise in unworking men who draw from government disability and means-tested benefit programs. There are also the barriers to work for America’s huge pool of male ex-prisoners and felons not behind bars—a poorly tracked cohort that accounts for one adult male in eight in the civilian population, excluding those in jail now.

Regardless of its cause, this new normal is inimical to America’s national interests. Declining labor-force participation and falling work rates have contributed to slower economic growth and widening gaps in income and wealth. Slower growth in turn reduces tax revenue and increases budgetary pressures, producing higher deficits and national debt. Unworking men have increased poverty in the U.S., not least among the great many children whose fathers are without jobs.

There are the social effects, too. The male retreat from the labor force has exacerbated family breakdown, promoted welfare dependence and recast “disability” into a viable alternative lifestyle. Among these men the death of work seems to mean also the death of civic engagement, community participation and voluntary association.

In short, the American male’s postwar flight from work is a grave social ill. Strangely, nearly everyone—the news media, major political parties, intellectuals, business leaders, policy makers—has managed to overlook it. The urgency of the moment is to bring this invisible crisis out of the shadows.

Imagine how different America would be today if another roughly 10 million men held paying jobs. It is imperative for the future health of the country to make a determined and sustained effort to bring these detached men back—into the workplace, into their families, into civil society.

Mr. Eberstadt is a political economist at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington, D.C. This is adapted from his book “Men Without Work: America’s Invisible Crisis,” out this month from Templeton Press.
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crimethink For This Useful Post:

Hitch (3rd September 2016),Tumbleweed (3rd September 2016)

Thanks

Re: The Idle Army: America’s Unworking Men

The only ones who benefit from the conflation of money and credit are the issuers of credit with no money.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carl For This Useful Post:

kiffertom (5th September 2016)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,916 Posts

I started three business and did ok , first one installing my own security protectors (with $20,00) on doors, second one swap meet seller(with 50,00 dollars) and third my Squeeze balls (with 85,00 dollars) and then I retired......... as long as you work for someone else you will remain his slave and also slave to the IRS.

V

V
    "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

"I'll never stop learning because I'll never stop reading"... Ponce

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,001 Posts

peak work has come and gone. need to rotate the work -- free shit army needs to rotate into labor force and let us take some breaks too

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ponce View Post
    I started three business and did ok , first one installing my own security protectors (with $20,00) on doors, second one swap meet seller(with 50,00 dollars) and third my Squeeze balls (with 85,00 dollars) and then I retired......... as long as you work for someone else you will remain his slave and also slave to the IRS.

V

V
    You're plan sounds much better than mine was. I'm still in good shape but man I worked for it....and for someone else, which means I only got a small piece of the value
    If you're offended by any of my posts tough shit!
    "Politicians Are Like Diapers, They Should Be Changed Often, And For The Same Reason"
    If you're not prepared for what's coming it's already too late!
    Niggers will never be satisfied!!

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,265 Posts

I own my own business and I work like a dog. The government takes my money and gives it to others. Collectivism. I saw today that a company is hiring truck drivers for $65K to $85k per year with a $5k sign on bonus. I've never made that kind of money. I am surrounded by non working malingerers who have convinced some bureaucrat somewhere, that they are either to stupid or to sick to work. They are stealing from me and I resent it bigtime.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

Bigjon (4th September 2016),cheka. (3rd September 2016),Dogman (3rd September 2016),Jewboo (3rd September 2016),midnight rambler (3rd September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,398 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ponce View Post

V

V

Did you have a retirement income? If you had other sources of income, you did not start any business with $80. You started it with a secure stream of income plus some scratch.

People locked into a hand-to-mouth situation will have a hard time thinking outside the box. And if it is easy (and cheap) to do, 500 people are already doing it in your neighborhood.
    SPECTRISM time countdown2025

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spectrism For This Useful Post:

crimethink (3rd September 2016),Hillbilly (4th September 2016),midnight rambler (3rd September 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    I own my own business and I work like a dog. The government takes my money and gives it to others. Collectivism. I saw today that a company is hiring truck drivers for $65K to $85k per year with a $5k sign on bonus. I've never made that kind of money. I am surrounded by non working malingerers who have convinced some bureaucrat somewhere, that they are either to stupid or to sick to work. They are stealing from me and I resent it bigtime.
    What's it's like having a victim mentality?

America has been permanently downsized, and it's getting worse. Yet those with Stockholm Syndrome want to blame the allegedly "lazy" - "malingerers" - instead of the Babylon System which has fucked over America for decades in favor of "globalism."

I know plenty of guys - smart, able White guys - who "aren't wanted" by the system. "Too old," "too risky," and sometimes, "too White." Did you actually apply for the truck driver job? "Extensive experience required"? "Training at your own expense required"? Tell us the whole story. And tell us why you didn't apply, if it's such good, "easy" money. Same with Burger King "help wanted" signs. Most of them should be in Spanish, because that's what the corporatists want.

I get sick to death of the bullshit spewed that "everyone who isn't working 40+ is lazy." That includes a large portion of the Blacks...some of them want to work. They've been fucked over by the System, in favor of Latrino invaders (it's why some Blacks are listening to Trump instead of following the Democrat Massah's talking points). And plenty of the millions of folks who are drawing disability really are disabled. Our civilization has never before had the mass poisoning of the population we have, so it's no surprise we have the most "used up and stuffed in the trash" population, as well. Serious illnesses are increasing in percentages for all, and, most disturbingly, rapidly among younger people (e.g., Autism, but also cancers and life-threatening auto-immune diseases). Are a percentage lying? Of course. Most? Hell no. A lot of them are veterans who had a shaft stuck up their backside by the VA, and told their war wounds "weren't service related." I know two such people.

So, my point: aim your hatred at the real problem, not the people whom you are one tragedy away from being yourself.

I posted the OP article because I understand what's really happening to tens of millions.
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crimethink For This Useful Post:

AndreaGail (4th September 2016),Hillbilly (4th September 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrism View Post
    Did you have a retirement income? If you had other sources of income, you did not start any business with $80. You started it with a secure stream of income plus some scratch.

People locked into a hand-to-mouth situation will have a hard time thinking outside the box. And if it is easy (and cheap) to do, 500 people are already doing it in your neighborhood.
    People who have find it very easy to condemn those who don't have...our own kind, as well as everyone else. To start a "real" business," you either have to have a pile of cash, or be a non-American eligible for an SBA loan.

"I've got mine, figure out how to get yours." Cannibalization of our "brothers." Like I said, one tragedy away from being in the same boat as them.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to crimethink For This Useful Post:

Hillbilly (4th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post

Woodman correctly identified the (((cause))) and also correctly notes the millions and millions of n
    on-working malingerers who take advantage of this system. Malingerers.

Woodman nailed it
    I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (3rd September 2016),woodman (3rd September 2016)