Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US mint website so Plucked up I can't order a coin.

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 2,128 Posts

US mint website so Plucked up I can't order a coin.

Trying to get gold Standing Liberty.

EE, Did you have any problems?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,956 Times in 4,576 Posts

Re: US mint website so Plucked up I can't order a coin.

Quote Originally Posted by ximmy View Post
    Trying to get gold Standing Liberty.

EE, Did you have any problems?
    It threw me off a few times, but I prevailed after about 9 minutes

http://www.coinnews.net/wp-content/u...er-510x276.jpg
    DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE!

THE SHIT HAS HIT THE FAN!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

How much per coin?
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mamboni View Post
    How much per coin?
    http://catalog.usmint.gov/standing-l...oduct-schedule

Three coin set for 2016

http://www.coinweek.com/wp-content/u...classics-1.gif
    DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EE_ For This Useful Post:

mamboni (8th September 2016)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 2,128 Posts

Still nothing, I'm about to give up.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

sold out? only 100,000 mintage
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Ximmy, the site is working now, and they are still taking orders!

BTW, even though the servers were very clearly overwhelmed, I managed to get my order in, took me exactly 14 minutes from noon (est). I wanted to get two, but they are limiting sales to one per household. I think this is because with the gold merc dime, they allowed 6 per household, and 90%+ of those sales were people buying six to resell.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks

I think a lot of people are selling this too cheap on ebay at the moment. It may take a few weeks to see the real market value.
    Probably many broke ass people are in a hurry to get their money back with a few bucks profit so they can buy groceries. The economy is sucking wind for a lot of people.
    We shall see.

Hoping the coin sells out buy tonight. Last checked, looks like over 50k sold
    DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts
    I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

Thanks

Customers compete for 2016-W Standing Liberty gold quarter dollars
    Coin remains available hours after sales launch

By Paul Gilkes , Coin World
    Published : 09/08/16

The second coin in the Mint's 2016 Centennial series, the Standing Liberty gold quarter dollar, remained available hours after the launch of sales at noon Eastern Time on Sept. 8, in stark contrast to the Winged Liberty Head gold dime, which sold out in less than an hour earlier this year.

As of 5:10 p.m. Sept. 8, the U.S. Mint had no sales figures available. However, a comparison of purchaser order numbers suggests that a bit more than half of the 100,000 2016-W Standing Liberty Centennial gold quarter dollars had sold by 5:30 p.m. Thursday.

The issue, restricted to a one-coin-per-household ordering limit, was offered at $485 per coin. Pricing is set according to the U.S. Mint’s established pricing grid.

A number of collectors reported to Coin World they had difficulty placing orders online over the Mint’s website, as they were kicked out or the web pages closed during an attempted order. Most of those who reported their experiences to Coin World spent 15 minutes or more trying to place their orders online before successful completion and confirmation the order was received.

Some Mint customers reported they were unsuccessful in attempts to place orders using the toll-free 800-872-6468 telephone ordering line, being greeted by repeated busy signals or being cut off, before switching to the Mint's website.

An order placed by telephone through the toll-free line operated by the Mint's contractor, PFSWeb in Plano, Texas, must be reinput into the online ordering system by an operator before the order can be processed.

Several months ago, after the Mint made some online enhancements, Mint customers had to update their accounts with new passwords and make sure their billable credit card was still active before being able to place an order.

When placing orders for the Standing Liberty gold quarter dollar, however, the checkout page allowed customers to do so as a “guest” without having previously opened an account with the Mint.

Gold quarter dollar

The 2016-W coin is a quarter-ounce .9999-fine gold version of the Standing Liberty .900-fine silver quarter dollar designed by sculptor Hermon A. MacNeil and first struck in 1916. The obverse design on the gold version is the Bare Breast subtype as introduced 100 years ago. MacNeil’s original design was changed twice in 1917, first issued as a slightly modified version of the 1916 design, and then again with chain mail added to cover Liberty’s exposed right breast and a repositioning of the eagle on the reverse.

The coin is produced at the West Point Mint with a circulation-strike finish. The coin exhibits a standard, wide-reed edge, with the number of reeds at 109, according to Mint officials.

The W Mint mark appears above and left of the 2 in the date, to the right of the star there. The M above and right of the 6 in the date, right of the star there, is sculptor MacNeil’s initial.

The West Point Mint received the required planchets from Leach Garner. The planchets are received with a proto-rim that is upset, or raised, to help restrain metal flow during striking.

Before the planchets are struck into coins, the planchets are subjected to five to 10 minutes of burnishing in Spaleck burnishing equipment. The planchets are tumbled in a proprietary solution of soap, water and a mild surfactant in a tub containing steel media. After the burnishing operation is complete and the solution removed, the burnished planchets are placed on edge into trays.

A press operator at the coinage press places one planchet at a time into the coining chamber, using tongs to hold the piece by its edge.

The planchets are struck twice on a Gräbener GMP 360 coin press exerting striking pressure of 65 to 68 tons per strike to bring up the design relief.

The dies are oriented on the coinage press to strike vertically, with the obverse as the upper, hammer, die, and the reverse as the lower, anvil, die. The edge, or collar, die imparts the standard wide reeding.

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coi...quarters.html#
    DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE!