Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Restaurant bill suggested tips: 18, 20, or 25% WTF?!

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Re: Restaurant bill suggested tips: 18, 20, or 25% WTF?!

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Titan View Post

I actually tip 5 coin silver sets to staff that are exceptional to educate them about money
    That's a great idea. I rarely eat out, but when I do it's local mom and pop restaurants where the people know my name. I always tip well, at least 20%. Going out to eat is a treat for me, and tipping well, the service and food is worth it. When the owner of the restaurant comes out to talk and ask about a meal, that says a lot. I like supporting businesses like that.
    life is good.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

Camp Bassfish (18th November 2016),Twisted Titan (17th November 2016)

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,865 Times in 7,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Titan View Post
    I have a small handful of brunch places i frequent because i dont cook and i have my little one in tow.

Im as gracious as i can be and the staff is super helpful.

I actually tip 5 coin silver sets to staff that are exceptional to educate them about money
    You tipped me a couple of fucking worn old (silver) quarters?? What the Hell am I supposed to do with a lousy $0.50 you fucking cheapskate??
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

crimethink (17th November 2016),Santa (17th November 2016),Twisted Titan (17th November 2016)

Thanks

My pet peeve is how there is a tip line on every receipt now even if you order a sandwich or coffee to go. I can't believe the amount of times I've seen people get suckered into leaving a buck or two to what amounts to a 25% tip because they feel guilty leaving that line blank
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months

Silver will have its day...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AndreaGail For This Useful Post:

crimethink (18th November 2016)

Thanks

I was visiting Europe for a bout a week and a half and eating out sure is easier over there. almost all restaurants have heir menu in post tax prices, are shown in amounts ending in 20, 50, or 00 and a 1 euro tip is plenty as long as you aren't at a 3-4 star restaurant and even there 10% is plenty. In many cases my meals ended up being cheaper than had I gots a similar meal here
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months

Silver will have its day...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AndreaGail For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (17th November 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Half Sense View Post
    The best restaurant gig is the one where the 18% tip is discreetly added to the bill. So you had 2 drinks, 2 entrees and a bottle of wine? $80 + a 16.40 tip and the bill arrives with a nice big $96.40 circled on it. You, the big spender, add another $15 or $20 tip. So the server got $35 for cracking a bottle of wine and laying down 2 plates.
    I made this mistake in NYC last Thanksgiving.... (added 20% to a bill that already had 18% added). The waiter noticed what I had done and caught up with me as I was almost out the door. He pointed out my error and showed me how he had crossed off the additional tip and was only running the bill for the original amount stated on the bill. That act of rare honesty earned him an additional $10 in hand. A cheap lesson learned.
    * This space for rent *

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Camp Bassfish For This Useful Post:

Dogman (18th November 2016),Joshua01 (18th November 2016),midnight rambler (18th November 2016),PatColo (18th November 2016),Twisted Titan (18th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,852 Posts

I usually leave 15% of the food on the plate. Helps the waistline and if they are hungry ... well, you get the idea.

This works out really well at buffets.
    Make me one with everything.
    -- Zen Master to the hot dog vendor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

^ if they run the auto-tip racket; there shouldn't ALSO be a blank tip line on the bill/CC voucher. Nothing but a calculated trip wire.

"Oh but what if customers WANT to add ADDITIONAL tip money, but they don't have cash?!" No no no, all parties would acknowledge that's not 90% of customers' intent when they put something on that blank line, most esp when that amount they add happens to be 15% plus, probably compounding the already auto-tipped portion of the subtotal-- IE a tip on the tip!
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PatColo For This Useful Post:

Camp Bassfish (18th November 2016)

Thanks

There's a little Mex restaurant near where I'm currently camping. Maybe 5 tables, order at the counter... IE most peeps get their food to go. So they've got the CCard swiper at the counter as a payment option, if not cash. There's an LCD touch screen pointed at the customer to complete the details, and even to "sign" at the end.

After okaying the amount + tax, it takes you through the "add tip?" screen. Rather than providing a number pad to key in your desired tip, the options are conveniently pre-selected for you... There's a "No tip" button, and the remaining 4 buttons begin with 15%, then I think 18, 20, & 25%.

Mind you, this is a pick your grub from the big wall mounted menu, order/pay at the counter then stand & wait ~5 mins place; not a sit down & be "waited on" through the duration of your meal restaurant. Those who eat there too, still order at the counter... and 'ideally' they gather up their paper/plastic/tin foil garbage at the end & drop in the trash can by the door.

Also mind you, you select your tip % amount at the beginning, step #1 of the whole transaction, when you haven't received any "service" or even food, to assess how generously you might tip. So if you've already tipped 15-25%, then you stand waiting 10-15m, and/or they F up your order somehow (like 'forgetting' the guac as they did my order yesterday!? )... you're SOL.

Naturally there's also the cash tip jar at the counter!

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PatColo For This Useful Post:

crimethink (4th August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PatColo View Post
    There's a little Mex restaurant near where I'm currently camping. Maybe 5 tables, order at the counter... IE most peeps get their food to go. So they've got the CCard swiper at the counter as a payment option, if not cash. There's an LCD touch screen pointed at the customer to complete the details, and even to "sign" at the end.

After okaying the amount + tax, it takes you through the "add tip?" screen. Rather than providing a number pad to key in your desired tip, the options are conveniently pre-selected for you... There's a "No tip" button, and the remaining 4 buttons begin with 15%, then I think 18, 20, & 25%.

Mind you, this is a pick your grub from the big wall mounted menu, order/pay at the counter then stand & wait ~5 mins place; not a sit down & be "waited on" through the duration of your meal restaurant. Those who eat there too, still order at the counter... and 'ideally' they gather up their paper/plastic/tin foil garbage at the end & drop in the trash can by the door.

Also mind you, you select your tip % amount at the beginning, step #1 of the whole transaction, when you haven't received any "service" or even food, to assess how generously you might tip. So if you've already tipped 15-25%, then you stand waiting 10-15m, and/or they F up your order somehow (like 'forgetting' the guac as they did my order yesterday!? )... you're SOL.

Naturally there's also the cash tip jar at the counter!
    "Mandatory" tip = no tip. This "tip required" BS is an example of the entitlement mentality across the political spectrum.

And if I serve as the waiter, I surely leave no tip.

If I encounter a moneychanger machine like that, I'll tell them to run it manually, or pay cash.
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crimethink View Post
    "Mandatory" tip = no tip. This "tip required" BS is an example of the entitlement mentality across the political spectrum.

And if I serve as the waiter, I surely leave no tip.

If I encounter a moneychanger machine like that, I'll tell them to run it manually, or pay cash.
    it's not mandatory; recall this part:

What's 'offensive' about it, in my humble & increasingly 'old fashioned' opinion, is you must navigate through this "add tip?" screen at all... with options beginning with a conscious in-your-face "No Tip coz I'm a stingy & uncaring joowannabe" choice, then remaining choices beginning at 15% through 25%... rather than a number pad where I can 'toss in a buck', or just round the total up to the next round $ amount (IE $9.62 becomes $10.00) !!

& again, this is all BEFORE you've received any food or service to judge! It used to be said that "TIPS" stood for, To Insure Proper Service... knowhatamean?