Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think is a good gold to silver stack ratio

Zinc
    Thanks

What do you guys think is a good gold to silver stack ratio

I started buying bullion in a 10 silver to 1 gold ounce amounts. Starting to think I should have more silver less gold in the ratio. What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

Re: What do you guys think is a good gold to silver stack ratio

At least 100 to one silver to gold. Unless storing the silver is an unbearable burden to you, I would concentrate on silver. Ask yourself what is the likelihood of your gold doubling in value in the next 5 years. What about silver?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hoarder For This Useful Post:

madfranks (3rd December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,345 Posts

Hi Schrekmer. Welcome to GSUS!

Check out my article. It probably does not answer your question completely, but is a starting point. The context of this article is that you are buying for a SHTF scenario, not "investing".

What Do Silver and Gold Buy?

By John Q. Public

"...
    Conclusions

A typical family requires around 113 grams of gold or 113 ozt. silver per month to live. This is based on actual purchasing power considerations for silver and gold...

From the analysis, silver would be the most cost effective purchase based on this scenario. With the gold:silver ratio currently so high, and the purchasing power of monetized gold and silver indicating the need for a lower gold:silver ratio, silver gets you twice as much bang for the current buck. Of course this analysis is approximate, and other factors may force the ratio to stay the same or even get larger..."
    "What Difference, at this time, does it make?"

"What is 'is'?"

"Because you'd be in jail"

Zinc
    Thanks

Yeah storage isn't an issue. I guess I'm really trying to diversify. I have all the real estate and stocks I have time to manage. If I leave the money in the bank my wife spends it. Haha

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmer View Post
    Yeah storage isn't an issue. I guess I'm really trying to diversify. I have all the real estate and stocks I have time to manage. If I leave the money in the bank my wife spends it. Haha
    Invest in a divorce, but still don't leave money in the bank. I think at these times it is a good idea to be overweight silver, which means you should probably buy at least 100:1 silver:gold. Or rather you should have more dollars in silver than in gold. As gold-silver ratio goes down to 40-45:1 you should start going towards underweighting silver in dollar terms.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neuro For This Useful Post:

madfranks (3rd December 2016)

Zinc
    Thanks

Haha love the wife!
    Still new to PM so I am trying to find something that balances saving with opportunities to increase in value. I see on YouTube most people have a hard time getting their money back on bullion bars but then people hate paying the premium on coins. What do you guys think about the collectable poured bars or specialty rounds from the civilian mints?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmer View Post
    Haha love the wife!
    Still new to PM so I am trying to find something that balances saving with opportunities to increase in value. I see on YouTube most people have a hard time getting their money back on bullion bars but then people hate paying the premium on coins. What do you guys think about the collectable poured bars or specialty rounds from the civilian mints?
    It depends what you see the future as. If you think there is a likely chance of a currency collapse in the future and you buy PM's as a hedge against these risks, you certainly get less metal for your dollars with the premium stuff. However if you look at it from the perspective of past performance I think (I am not sure though, since I am not a collector) you'ld have a better return on the premium collectors items. But of course that is if trends continue as in the past. Probably if you are going down the purdy collector coin lane, you should spend a lot of time learning what to buy and at what price.

Thanks

My ratio is two thirds silver, one third gold. Gold is less volatile and so easy to sell. I started 100% silver. I sold silver in 2011 that I acquired between 2003 and 2005 - I traded silver for gold at $47 and $1400. Silver collapsed from nearly $50 to under $15 at one point, and gold lost a much smaller percentage. Silver has given me that pit in my stomach feeling many times, while gold has been much less worrisome on the corrections.

Silver is a great speculation at today's prices, if you have thick skin and strong hands.

I like only government minted coins, US coins preferred (better liquidity over rounds and bars when prices are high).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

Every penny you spend on premiums to get pretty, rare or collectable metal is a penny you won't have to invest in more metal. Which value do you think will increase? The metal or the premium?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoarder View Post
    Every penny you spend on premiums to get pretty, rare or collectable metal is a penny you won't have to invest in more metal. Which value do you think will increase? The metal or the premium?
    What do you buy? Generic rounds can be discounted heavily when it comes time to sell and not everybody wants them. 90% used to be the buy, but the premium is now around $2.50 over spot - about the same as Eagles.