Thread: Comfrey

Gold
    Thanks

Comfrey

Is anyone here growing it ?
    If your are engaged in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK!
    Shot placement is important! But when the world turns to shit------An A10 Warthog beats a feather duster every time! .50 BMG vs .308 vs .22 * anything
    Incoming fire has the right of way!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,633 Times in 3,208 Posts

Re: Comfrey

Nice to see you CC. It has been awhile. Hope all is well with you and yours.

I have never grown the stuff. Don't even own seed. Never really thought about it.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Thanks

I bought a small comfrey plant at an herb festival last year. Stuck it in the partial shade between two yews. It has thrived and is now about 3' by 4'. I need to divide it and plant half of it elsewhere. The only time it was stressed was in high heat with no rain for weeks (North Florida). The leaves were turning gray and drying out. It hit it with the hose and it recovered nicely.

Comfrey has a deep root system. It pulls minerals from the soil and stores them in the leaves. Also known as "knit-bone", it will speed up healing of sprains and breaks. You can make a poultice or just wrap some leaves under an ace bandage. You can use the leaves as fertilizer for your other plants. Just drop them on the soil around the plant you want to feed.

Insects don't seem to like it. The leaves are hairy and kinda sharp all over. It's a beautiful plant and I'd like to get it established under my ligustrums since I hate weeding there.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Half Sense For This Useful Post:

Dachsie (22nd March 2017),madfranks (28th December 2016),osoab (28th December 2016)

Gold
    Thanks

Hey OSOAB, It has been awhile. I'm finally back in action. I was never sick, ever. Many injuries and wounds but never sick. Then I MADE UP FOR IT BY GETTING THE MEDICAL DICTIONARY DROPPED ON MY HEAD. No intention to renew my passport. I'm done running around no matter how many $$$ there are to be made. Sticking with developing a place for the children. Small dairy, beef, poultry and food production type farming and MEMORIES. Not as a business. The food bank can have anything we don't need.
    How are things with you and yours?
    If your are engaged in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK!
    Shot placement is important! But when the world turns to shit------An A10 Warthog beats a feather duster every time! .50 BMG vs .308 vs .22 * anything
    Incoming fire has the right of way!