Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farmbot - Automated farming for individuals.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 4,306 Posts

Farmbot - Automated farming for individuals.

"Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Bigjon (15th July 2016),brosil (15th July 2016),Glass (14th July 2016),madfranks (14th July 2016),midnight rambler (14th July 2016),monty (14th July 2016),Shami-Amourae (15th July 2016),SWRichmond (14th July 2016),vacuum (14th July 2016)

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Re: Farmbot - Automated farming for individuals.

Would love to see this applied to aquaponics.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    Would love to see this applied to aquaponics.
    I guess aquaponics does this via the automated water flow systems, however aquaponics doesn't have an automated planting method built in.

I think the planting system, while cool, is a fairly small part of the overall system, so you could potentially do without that capability. By that I mean, it is only used for a small time in the over all scheme of things.

I see that this system really excels for soil based growing. I do question whether it is really providing an overly technical solution for something that could be done relatively easily by hand - planting seeds is not complicated if you have a plan and the machine needs the plan before it can do anything. Also the watering could be controlled with appropriate reticulation - size of flow, targeted flow and soil moisture sensors to manage watering frequency.

Anyway if it helps geeks enjoy and want to do gardening and it's solar powered and generally eco efficient I don't see anything negative about it. It's cool techy.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    I guess aquaponics does this via the automated water flow systems, however aquaponics doesn't have an automated planting method built in.

I think the planting system, while cool, is a fairly small part of the overall system, so you could potentially do without that capability. By that I mean, it is only used for a small time in the over all scheme of things.

I see that this system really excels for soil based growing. I do question whether it is really providing an overly technical solution for something that could be done relatively easily by hand - planting seeds is not complicated if you have a plan and the machine needs the plan before it can do anything. Also the watering could be controlled with appropriate reticulation - size of flow, targeted flow and soil moisture sensors to manage watering frequency.

Anyway if it helps geeks enjoy and want to do gardening and it's solar powered and generally eco efficient I don't see anything negative about it. It's cool techy.
    Being a techy I love a lot of things that are automated. It keeps track of soil moisture, kills weeds and does all the planting. Think bigger though, automation could completely revolutionize how we produce food.

If they could mount low power lasers (1 to 5 watt 480nm to 500nm) it could even kill insects without damaging the plants. Having a machine do that would totally eliminate the need for pesticides, and have it perform the weed management. You've got a completely automated growing system with very little effort, organic and sustainable.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Glass (14th July 2016),madfranks (14th July 2016),midnight rambler (14th July 2016)

Gold
    Thanks

Open source = big agra and grocery giants cant buy the patent and kill it.

In a few years I'll be rearranging my raised beds to accommodate this. Extremely effing cool.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SWRichmond For This Useful Post:

Ares (14th July 2016),Glass (14th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Even though it's open source, it seems too complicated for the average joe to figure out and assemble. I sense a huge business opportunity here for young people looking to start a business. Study this thing inside out and become an expert in how it's built, how it works, how it's maintained, etc. Then sell your service whereby you make and install it, for a fee. No doubt there's a market for this across the country.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madfranks For This Useful Post:

Ares (15th July 2016),JohnQPublic (3rd December 2016),midnight rambler (14th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,383 Times in 2,414 Posts

Wow, this is the best thing I've seen in a long time.

Palladium
    Thanks

Brilliant! It's not what I was looking at doing but totally brilliant. Looks like I need a 3d printer.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,345 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brosil View Post
    Brilliant! It's not what I was looking at doing but totally brilliant. Looks like I need a 3d printer.
    You can buy a kit. I am not sure if it includes all the parts or not.

This would work well in a greenhouse also.
    "What Difference, at this time, does it make?"

"What is 'is'?"

"Because you'd be in jail"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,345 Posts

This is more for a community project:

http://www.farmfromabox.com/
    "What Difference, at this time, does it make?"

"What is 'is'?"

"Because you'd be in jail"