Thread: Going Gear Shot show 2017 coupon

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Going Gear Shot show 2017 coupon

Going Gear are running an 11% off coupon for this years Vegas Shot Show 2017.

Code is: shot17

Expires Jan 31, 2017.

Some things excluded.
    Can't be used with other deals.

Spiel:
    Use coupon code shot17 for 11% off your entire order, online or in our store. Feel free to forward the coupon to your friends and family, share it on Facebook, and use it as many times as you want. There are no minimum order requirements, but some items are excluded and the coupon cannot be combined with other offers or used on previous orders.
    I don't know if these guys are well priced etc. Don't remember what I bought from them. Maybe a JetBeam torch which was recommended by Gaillo. Turned out to be an excellent torch. Very well made, great battery life and excellent output. Rugged. Recommend without hesitation. I bought both recommendations.

The Zebralight died a couple months back. Was also a good product. It took a real battering and started cutting out maybe 1.5 years before dying completely. I think it may be contacts have separated from the housing inside. Recently found a guide on how to break the unit down. Just need some time to take it apart and have a look see. I think there are more efficient LED available now and a couple of alternative brands that have this headset form factor which could be worth looking at. I haven't tried any others but 2 that look interesting are:
    Armytek Tiara A1 - armytek.com
    Olight H1R Nova

For me there are pro's and cons. Mainly battery type and availability. Also recharging methods.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

Re: Going Gear Shot show 2017 coupon

Going Gear has a nice selection and good customer service, but watch their prices, even with the coupons (which don't always work on what you want).
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Good News!
    Talking about the Zebralight headlamp got me inspired to see if I could take it apart. After re-reading the how to it became obvious it might be a one way street.

Then I started remembering that many of these chip driven LED lights are programmable.... loose term..... used by weird flashlight nerds but we won't go there. Basically 1 button press gives X brightness, 2 button presses gives 2X brightness etc.... and some lights have a Press it X times in succession to set the preferred start up brightness. Some makers release their programing sequences and some don't.

So I retrieved the light from the drawer of shame, loaded a fresh cell and started logical button pressing sequences. After some magic sequence of maybe 10 in a row or something I got a flicker of light. A reset indicator? Loaded another fresh cell and sure enough it lit up with a steady beam. After a second or so it seemed to step down in brightness. Loaded another fresh cell to make sure it still worked after power was withdrawn and it cranked at full brightness.

Stepped through the various brightness settings. All good. Back in business. Possibly user button pressing frustration at some point messed up the programming and I've managed to reset it to factory. Will continue to use and see what happens.

Also I'm hearing that those ArmyTek head lamps have had whole batches go out faulty so might be something to monitor before buying one.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

Going Gear just issued another coupon with the curious name, "riseup." Any idea what that refers to? I can't imagine they're trying to make an anti-Trump political statement, but that's the first thing that came to mind.
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12