Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mice

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Mice

Got down to the old boat today, been a couple of months. She's trashed. Mice got in and just destroyed the boat. They chewed up clothes, cushions, wood...it's not good. I tried to clean some of it up, but soon realized I need some sort of respirator to protect myself. Mouse crap everywhere. It's bad, I can't believe the damage they can do.

So, I put out some traps and poison bait. I'll check on it in the morning. Tomorrow, I'll get a respirator and start cleaning up. I think I'm going to try this guy's trick, just set up a bunch of traps with tootsie rolls as bait.

If anyone has any advise, I could sure use it.

life is good.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

cheka. (7th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Peanut butter

The shits love it.

Sent using Forum Runner
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dogman For This Useful Post:

Hitch (7th May 2017)

Iridium
    Thanks

Re: Mice

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    Peanut butter

The shits love it.

Sent using Forum Runner
    Thanks, I'll try that as well. I don't know how many mice, maybe a hundred. Plus the boat is loaded with food. Best I can tell they can't get into the canned food, so my mountain house 10 cans should be fine. There's MRE's though I need to check. This is one situation where trying to be prepared has just bitten me in the ass.
    life is good.

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,001 Posts

or get you a mouser. family has been through a ton of cats -- one mouser stands supreme (mice, birds, everything else..). 24/7 dedicated to his craft. he looked like this:

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

While it's pretty disappointing they got into your food but be sure to check your wiring and so on. make sure they haven't chewed through that, safety gear etc. I' sure you're on to that anyway. Rats are notorious around water as well. Obviously the "signs" would be a bit different. Our winter is well over due here and every thing is breeding like it's spring time. Rats and mice included. Very unusual. Of course they are spraying like there's no tomorrow here now. Seem to have been able to kill all the rain very effectively so far this winter. We're getting mid 80's temps when it should be around 70 and wet.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

Hitch (8th May 2017)

Iridium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    While it's pretty disappointing they got into your food but be sure to check your wiring and so on. make sure they haven't chewed through that, safety gear etc. I' sure you're on to that anyway. Rats are notorious around water as well. Obviously the "signs" would be a bit different. Our winter is well over due here and every thing is breeding like it's spring time. Rats and mice included. Very unusual. Of course they are spraying like there's no tomorrow here now. Seem to have been able to kill all the rain very effectively so far this winter. We're getting mid 80's temps when it should be around 70 and wet.
    Thanks Glass. Spent all day working on the boat, what a mess. The good news, not as much damage to the boat as I thought. Some clothes, and they chewed the wood in a few spots, but mostly just a big mess. I got a lot of it cleaned up. I started at the stern and worked forward. More good news, there was a whole pantry of preps they couldn't get into for some reason. Canned food, vacuum sealed flower, sugar, and rice, etc. A lot of preps I was able to save.

The downside, all MRE's are gone. They didn't even eat them I think, just chewed through the packaging. Same with the lifeboat rations, all gone, because they compromised the packaging. What a fucking waste of food, those little bastards.

I've found out they've holed up in the forepeak. I could actually hear them moving around as I was cleaning up the area. I've set bait traps, regular snap traps, the whole works for them. I'll post an update tomorrow as to if I got any of them.

What I've learned from this:

They get into everything, but not canned foods. All my canned goods are fine, as well as thankfully all my Mountain House #10 cans. Pretty much everything else they destroy, even if they don't eat it. MRE's, what a waste, as well as any vacuum packed foods. Cans are the way to go, none of my canned bacon was even touched! I got a smile from that.

Secondly, they can chew through small Tupperware containers, the thin ones, but don't touch the thick containers. Note to self, store MRE's properly, in thick plastic containers.

I'm a little bummed out about the MRE's, they were expensive, and I was looking forward to having them around on a rainy day.
    life is good.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

Glass (8th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,956 Times in 4,576 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Thanks Glass. Spent all day working on the boat, what a mess. The good news, not as much damage to the boat as I thought. Some clothes, and they chewed the wood in a few spots, but mostly just a big mess. I got a lot of it cleaned up. I started at the stern and worked forward. More good news, there was a whole pantry of preps they couldn't get into for some reason. Canned food, vacuum sealed flower, sugar, and rice, etc. A lot of preps I was able to save.

The downside, all MRE's are gone. They didn't even eat them I think, just chewed through the packaging. Same with the lifeboat rations, all gone, because they compromised the packaging. What a fucking waste of food, those little bastards.

I've found out they've holed up in the forepeak. I could actually hear them moving around as I was cleaning up the area. I've set bait traps, regular snap traps, the whole works for them. I'll post an update tomorrow as to if I got any of them.

What I've learned from this:

They get into everything, but not canned foods. All my canned goods are fine, as well as thankfully all my Mountain House #10 cans. Pretty much everything else they destroy, even if they don't eat it. MRE's, what a waste, as well as any vacuum packed foods. Cans are the way to go, none of my canned bacon was even touched! I got a smile from that.

Secondly, they can chew through small Tupperware containers, the thin ones, but don't touch the thick containers. Note to self, store MRE's properly, in thick plastic containers.

I'm a little bummed out about the MRE's, they were expensive, and I was looking forward to having them around on a rainy day.
    I assume you're talking about the sailboat, not the new boat?
    DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE!

THE SHIT HAS HIT THE FAN!

Iridium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EE_ View Post
    I assume you're talking about the sailboat, not the new boat?
    Yes, thankfully the new boat is just fine.

What a mess, EE. The sailboat, she is now.
    life is good.

Iridium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    Peanut butter

The shits love it.

Sent using Forum Runner
    Reeces peanut butter cups. They loved them, went right for the traps. I got three of the little bastards last night. The bad news, they aren't so little. They are not mice, but rats. No wonder they tore the boat apart moving in. Hopefully that's all of them, but I may be optimistic.
    life is good.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Humm

Well, a rat at distance could possibly look like a moose!

You can pretend they are mooses. Use need to try moose proofing your yacht.

Yep peanut butter usually works every time.

Sent using Forum Runner
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dogman For This Useful Post:

Hitch (9th May 2017)