Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Counterfeit Coins- Fake Silver

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,398 Posts

Counterfeit Coins- Fake Silver

I thought I would revive a topic from long, long ago about fake coins- mostly from China. This is something we all need to be watching for and be equipped with the knowledge so we don't get scammed. In this thread, let's chip in what we have learned and experienced to help each other.

http://coins.about.com/od/worldcoins...rfeiting-Ring/
    Inside a Chinese Coin Counterfeiting RingPhotos of Counterfeit Coin Dies, Minting
    Machinery, and Fake Coins
    By Susan Headley, About.com Guide

The photos in this gallery were taken inside a Chinese coin counterfeiting operation. This counterfeiting ring is suspected of putting thousands of fake coins onto the world and U.S. coin markets every month. These striking photos first emerged on certain Web-based coin discussion boards in Europe and the Far East. They came to my attention through a numismatic watchdog/satire blog called Biddle's Bank. These are the same coins which are being put into counterfeit PCGS and NGC coin holders, although they are most frequently sold raw (non-slabbed.)

The sheer size, scope, and professionalism of this counterfeiting ring will astonish you. Although the working conditions often appear dirty and the minting equipment is old, this is obviously a well-funded enterprise that is run like a legal business in China. There is no law in China against making these "replicas" as long as they are sold as such.

Please share your thoughts about this Chinese counterfeiting ring.

http://0.tqn.com/d/coins/1/0/E/A/-/-...e_in_china.jpg

http://0.tqn.com/d/coins/1/0/r/9/-/-..._coin_dies.jpg

http://0.tqn.com/d/coins/1/0/D/A/-/-...hina_edges.jpg
    SPECTRISM time countdown2025

Great Value Carrots 1970 silver art's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Counterfeit Coins- Fake Silver

Thanks for starting this thread. The following are not .999 pure silver bars. If you are buying .999 silver bars, then stay away from these bars:

http://gold-silver.us/forum/silver/buyer-beware!!!!!!!!!-pay-close-attention-to-what-you-are-buying/

Silver Chinese Pandas are faked a lot too and most of them are found on ebay. The Chinese Panda fakes are usually silver plated copper from what I heard.

DISCLAIMER: My gut feeling on silver is just that................My gut feeling. I have absolutely nothing to back up any gut feeling that I might have on silver.

DISCLAIMER2: I am not really a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.

Pepperoni Pizza + Orange Juice + Netflix + Silver art bars = My life.

ATTENTION!!! I stood up to the TP king by making a 3-roll tp bet with him and guess what?............I won.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1970 silver art
    Thanks for starting this thread. The following are not .999 pure silver bars. If you are buying .999 silver bars, then stay away from these bars:

http://gold-silver.us/forum/silver/buyer-beware!!!!!!!!!-pay-close-attention-to-what-you-are-buying/

Silver Chinese Pandas are faked a lot too and most of them are found on ebay. The Chinese Panda fakes are usually silver plated copper from what I heard.
    I agree 1970 Silver Art- I got cold feet about buying anything from China- even the Pandas. Ever notice how the eBay stuff that never sells is from China? Beware of front operations that get set up in the US.

Thanks

I wish Fisch would make some silver testers.
    Voting is the opium of the masses.

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,855 Times in 7,912 Posts

The Peace and Morgan dollar fakes are all over feebay, and being sold as fakes in many cases. They're affordable enough I was thinking of buying one of each so I would know what to look for in the future.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,855 Times in 7,912 Posts

By the looks of those dies in the photo it appears they're producing many more fake coins than just Peace and Morgan dollars, perhaps even generic rounds.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler
    By the looks of those dies in the photo it appears they're producing many more fake coins than just Peace and Morgan dollars, perhaps even generic rounds.
    Because I would not want to destroy a larger stamped bar and I don't have a real good way of testing the metal content, this is the kind of thing that bothers me. It could cause the destruction of this market as a commoner's store of wealth. It would drive all sales through controlled testing points and they could outlaw all other trades "for your safety"- of course.

Thanks

I was burned at an auction on these fake silver rounds. It appears that they even treated them with something to give them a tarnished appearance. I was actually a little suspicious before I even bid but greed got the best of me. Once I had them home put them on a scale and they were 25g or something like that instead of 31.1g. I am pretty sure they are cupro-nickle and not plated. The auction was very careful to not claim they were silver rounds and had them mixed in with a bunch of other stuff.

If you are worried about a fake compare size of the coin or bar against one you know is real and then check the weight. I don't think I will be taken again on these same fakes they are pretty easy to spot now that I know what to look for.
    You think that the machine is so powerful that you can't fight, when the reality is that you're the battery that powers the machine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Son-of-Liberty
    I was burned at an auction on these fake silver rounds. It appears that they even treated them with something to give them a tarnished appearance. I was actually a little suspicious before I even bid but greed got the best of me. Once I had them home put them on a scale and they were 25g or something like that instead of 31.1g. I am pretty sure they are cupro-nickle and not plated. The auction was very careful to not claim they were silver rounds and had them mixed in with a bunch of other stuff.

If you are worried about a fake compare size of the coin or bar against one you know is real and then check the weight. I don't think I will be taken again on these same fakes they are pretty easy to spot now that I know what to look for.
    Thanks for that. I almost bought some of varying dates but got concerned because they were sealed in thick plastic cases making it impossible to feel, ring, chemtest or weigh them. Since the coins had many dings "appearing" to be worn and circulated, the heavy protective plastic cases seemed out of place.

Thanks

Those are probably the same ones Spec. These were sleeved but not heavy cases and they had been made to look worn. The ones I bought were fake silver rounds but I have seen other fakes at that auction made to look like old US silver dollars. I won't be going to that auction again. I had another problem with them a few weeks before where they double charged me the buyers fee.

I can't stand dishonest people.
    You think that the machine is so powerful that you can't fight, when the reality is that you're the battery that powers the machine.