Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A single butterfly can cost anywhere from 75 cents to $7

Thanks
    Thanked 2,434 Times in 1,844 Posts

A single butterfly can cost anywhere from 75 cents to $7

Well I must say that I just got hired part-time by a small but fast expanding butterfly farm the pay isnt that great but it is a start. Wont fantasize too much in this economic environment but gosh, I wont be worrying too much daily about helping evil prosper.

As the world isnt ready to go money free just yet, for me it is a good deal as no insect is tortured/killed.

A single butterfly can cost anywhere from 75 cents to $7 on the wholesale market, depending on the time of year and species.

as much as I dislike the monetization of Nature, thats one of the best spots out there in this time and age.

============== TO GIVE AN IDEA

The Euchee Butterfly Farm raises about 20,000 butterflies a year, but that's still not enough to keep up with demand. So it imports another 20,000, mostly from Costa Rica, to make up the difference. http://www.nativebutterflies.org/

special events butterflies release, costs (example)
    http://www.butterflyreleases.com/service.htm
    All the money that exists cannot buy Earth, and the evidence is that we destroy our habitat as a result, thinking that we can just seize and pillage as we see fit. If crowds endorse the pursuit of wealth at their own level, they cannot prevent multinationals from doing exactly the same. The “dystopian endless growth paradigm” is going to end with a bang but will open the door to a premise endorsing that Earth is the only wealth we truly have while journeying through life.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to singular_me For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (27th March 2017),vacuum (27th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

Re: A single butterfly can cost anywhere from 75 cents to $7

The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

4. The Following User Says Thank You to crimethink For This Useful Post:

singular_me (27th March 2017)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 2,128 Posts

sounds like fun.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ximmy For This Useful Post:

singular_me (27th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

madfranks (27th March 2017),singular_me (27th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by singular_me View Post
    Well I must say that I just got hired part-time by a small but fast expanding butterfly farm the pay isnt that great but it is a start. Wont fantasize too much in this economic environment but gosh, I wont be worrying too much daily about helping evil prosper.

As the world isnt ready to go money free just yet, for me it is a good deal as no insect is tortured/killed.
    Why are you worried about pay? If you love what you do, you should do it for free, right? Or is this a dose of economic reality setting in, that now you understand you should be paid for the work you do?
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madfranks For This Useful Post:

singular_me (27th March 2017),zap (28th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,434 Times in 1,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    Why are you worried about pay? If you love what you do, you should do it for free, right? Or is this a dose of economic reality setting in, that now you understand you should be paid for the work you do?
    that is why I chose that job... I have said this countless times though, dont care so much about the 11 bucks per hour right now but limiting my impact on society as much as possible, care about the Whole, which has nothing to do with communism but awareness. No money can buy passion, really

sorry, monetizing nature will end very bad, wont change my mind about it, but more environment friendly than that is hard to find
    All the money that exists cannot buy Earth, and the evidence is that we destroy our habitat as a result, thinking that we can just seize and pillage as we see fit. If crowds endorse the pursuit of wealth at their own level, they cannot prevent multinationals from doing exactly the same. The “dystopian endless growth paradigm” is going to end with a bang but will open the door to a premise endorsing that Earth is the only wealth we truly have while journeying through life.

Great Value Carrots StreetsOfGold's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    Luke 10:7 And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.
    Proverbs 14:23 In all labour there is profit: but the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury.
    Proverbs 13:11 Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase.
    Murder was the Catholic answer - Pope Francis

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

I'm sorry, what happens to the butterflies? You're not sticking pins in them are you?

Do they give you a net?

This is not an MK Ultra gig is it?

We have those monarch butterflies here and there is a particular tree they are attracted to. Can't recall the trees name but have had one in the yard before. It's like catnip for monarchs. They swarm all over it. Get tree, wait for it to flower and throw a net over it when the butterflies rock up.

hmmm I didn't know this was a thing.

But on the subject of butterflies. If anyone is visiting Singapore be sure and visit the butterfly park enclosure place. Not sure what it's called but it's worth going to. I think it's on the Sentosa island. There is one at the airport but the island is better.... in many ways including the chairlift ride across. If it's great weather take bathers.

Streets... I like this one
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetsOfGold View Post
    Proverbs 14:23 In all labour there is profit: but the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury.
    I was thinking of this just this morning. How a mans mouth betrays him but unfortunately so many listening do no hear.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by singular_me View Post
    that is why I chose that job... No money can buy passion, really..
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ddfad1d2a1.jpg

Here's your new avatar Goldi.

GSUS wouldn't be GSUS without you
    I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

Camp Bassfish (28th March 2017),Neuro (28th March 2017),singular_me (28th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,415 Posts

Sounds like the perfect job for you, congrats.