Thread: (((espn))) ratings collapse yields 'massive' layoffs

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,001 Posts

(((espn))) ratings collapse yields 'massive' layoffs

social justice crap comes home to roost

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.860b0036e20c

As ESPN announces massive layoffs, Ed Werder is among the first to go public

n a message sent Wednesday to ESPN employees, network president John Skipper announced the company was beginning its next round of layoffs, a long-anticipated move that is expected to thin the ranks of ESPN’s on-air and online talent.

[Journalists fire back at ‘dirtbags reveling in ESPN’s layoffs’]

“A necessary component of managing change involves constantly evaluating how we best utilize all of our resources, and that sometimes involves difficult decisions,” Skipper wrote. “Our content strategy — primarily illustrated in recent months by melding distinct, personality-driven SportsCenter TV editions and digital-only efforts with our biggest sub-brand — still needs to go further, faster … and as always, must be efficient and nimble. Dynamic change demands an increased focus on versatility and value, and as a result, we have been engaged in the challenging process of determining the talent — anchors, analysts, reporters, writers and those who handle play-by-play — necessary to meet those demands. We will implement changes in our talent lineup this week. A limited number of other positions will also be affected and a handful of new jobs will be posted to fill various needs.”

The job cuts, an ESPN decision as it re-positions itself for the future and not a mandate from parent company Disney, will affect around 100 out of the 1,000 so-called “front-facing” employees at ESPN, and the people who have contracts will see those deals honored in full. Jim Miller, who co-wrote a book on ESPN’s history, said Wednesday that “around 50 names you will recognize; another 50 you may not” will be losing their jobs. Those who are part of the network’s daily programming lineup are more likely to be retained, a reflection of Skipper’s line about “versatility and value” in his letter to employees.

Hearing now from several @espn employees who, despite advanced word, are "in shock" and "frozen." This is an awful day for all in Bristol.

— jamesmiller (@JimMiller) April 26, 2017

Bob Ley saluted his departing colleagues Wednesday on “Outside the Lines”:

From Bob Ley pic.twitter.com/rjJVi7JZaZ

— Outside The Lines (@OTLonESPN) April 26, 2017

As the names started to trickle out Wednesday, it became clear that ESPN’s reporting ranks were especially devastated by the cuts, as a number of well-respected journalists who worked mostly for ESPN.com — as opposed to the network’s on-air personalities — announced they were being let go.

Longtime NFL reporter Ed Werder was among the first to announce he had been laid off, on the eve of the NFL draft, no less (he had been assigned to cover the New Orleans Saints at the league’s annual selection meeting). If there was proof Wednesday that no one was safe, this was it. Werder was among the network’s most respected NFL voices.

After 17 years reporting on #NFL, I've been informed that I'm being laid off by ESPN effective immediately. I have no plans to retire

— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) April 26, 2017

While surprised and disappointed, I was fortunate to have worked @espn with so many devoted, talented journalists. I will always be grateful

— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) April 26, 2017

Brett McMurphy, who broke a lot of college football news (especially regarding conference expansion), is out:

After 5 great years, I’ve been laid off by ESPN. It was a tremendous opportunity & I enjoyed working w/a lot of really, really good people

— Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) April 26, 2017

Longtime MLB reporter Jayson Stark, who was part of a “Baseball Tonight” show that reportedly will get hit hard:

For 17 yrs I've had a dream job covering baseball for ESPN. Today is my last day. Thanks to all the great people at ESPN, MLB & all of you!

— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) April 26, 2017

From multiple people: ESPN's Baseball Tonight franchise will be significantly impacted by today's cuts.

— Richard Deitsch (@richarddeitsch) April 26, 2017

Trent Dilfer, NFL analyst:

Laid off by ESPN today.Although sad cause I loved my job, mostly filled w/gratitude & appreciation for the 9 years #GreatFriendsAndTeammates

— Trent Dilfer (@TDESPN) April 26, 2017

Longtime ESPN host Jay Crawford:

After 14 wonderful years my time at espn is over. From Cold Pizza to First Take to SC I made more friends than I can name. Forever grateful! pic.twitter.com/WNkUGuXeVl

— Jay Crawford (@jaycrawfordespn) April 26, 2017

Jean-Jacques Taylor, who covered all things Dallas:

It's ironic ESPN laid me off the same day as my first partner on the cowboys @Edwerderespn. I haven't been a FA in forever. This shud be fun

— Jean-Jacques Taylor (@JJT_ESPNDallas) April 26, 2017

Former Nationals general manager Jim Bowden has been let go:

I feel blessed & privileged to have worked @ESPN and most importantly work w/ so many great people.Thank you. I look forward to what's next

— Jim Bowden (@JimBowdenMLB) April 26, 2017

Danny Kanell, who has been with the network as a college football analyst since 2010 and co-hosted a radio show with Ryen Russillo since 2015:

Poured my heart and soul into ESPN for last 8 years. Moved my wife and 3 kids to CT to go "all in" 5 years ago. Bummed it ended in 3 minutes

— Danny Kanell (@dannykanell) April 26, 2017

But totally get it. All part of a business that is rapidly changing. Thankful for the opportunity I was given and people I got to work with!

— Danny Kanell (@dannykanell) April 26, 2017

Longtime “SportsCenter” host John Buccigross, whose contract is set to expire, reportedly is in limbo:

Sources now saying #JohnBuccigross not gone, but will not say if his contract, up this summer, renewed or reduced . https://t.co/jqhEDiBaVm

— Marisa Guthrie (@MarisaGuthrie) April 26, 2017

The Hollywood Reporter says Russillo, longtime “Baseball Tonight” host and MLB play-by-play announcer Karl Ravech and network veteran Hannah Storm will see their roles “significantly reduced.” According to previous reports, a number of ESPN personalities had approached the network about taking voluntary pay cuts or reworking their contracts in order to keep their jobs.

Columnist Johnette Howard is out:

I just found out I'm among the layoffs at ESPN today. Enjoyed my eight years there immensely. Looking forward to what's next.

— Johnette Howard (@JohnetteHoward) April 26, 2017

Jane McManus, who wrote about a veriety of subjects:

Super Bowls, The Trifecta and stories like the one up now are the moments I'll take with me into free agency starting tomorrow.

— Jane McManus (@janesports) April 26, 2017

ESPN’s cut deep into its NHL coverage, with columnists Pierre LeBrun and Scott Burnside and writer Joe McDonald being let go plus maybe Buccigross (who is more or less the face of the network’s hockey presence):

Well folks, as you can tell by my new Twitter handle, I was also among the cuts today at ESPN.

— Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) April 26, 2017

After 13 years of sticks and pucks can share that as of today my tenure at ESPN is at a close. I look forward to the next adventure.

— Scott Burnside (@OvertimeScottB) April 26, 2017

After nearly eight years of covering the NHL, MLB and the NFL at ESPN, it's time for the next chapter in my career.

— Joe McDonald (@ESPNJoeyMac) April 26, 2017

Longtime college basketball writer Dana O’Neil also was let go:

Add me to the list. Just got the 'call.' I've been informed my contract will not be renewed at ESPN.

— Dana O'Neil (@ESPNDanaOneil) April 26, 2017

As was college basketball writer Eamonn Brennan:

Bad news morning. I loved every bit of my eight years at ESPN and will miss it, and so many friends and colleagues there, profoundly.

— Eamonn Brennan (@eamonnbrennan) April 26, 2017

And college basketball reporter C.L. Brown:

Landed in Madrid. Turned on phone 1st time all vacation. Got texts asking if job was safe. Found out it was not. Enjoyed my 4 years, ESPN.

— C.L. Brown (@clbrownespn) April 26, 2017

Austin Ward, Jesse Temple and Brian Bennett, who all covered the Big Ten, announced their departures:

I've been informed that I'm no longer employed at ESPN. Greatly enjoyed covering the B1G, and will immediately try to find a new challenge!

— Austin Ward (@AWardESPN) April 26, 2017

Like other colleagues, I've been informed I am no longer working for ESPN. This is a crummy day, but I'll never stop pursuing my passion.

— Jesse Temple (@jessetemple) April 26, 2017

Like far too many other ESPN colleagues today, I’ve been laid off. Enjoyed nine great years here. Thanks for reading and following along.

— Brian Bennett (@BennettESPN) April 26, 2017

Max Olson, who covered the Big 12:

I got laid off by ESPN today after an amazing 5+ years. I've been unbelievably fortunate. Better days ahead.

— Max Olson (@max_olson) April 26, 2017

David Ching, from the SEC/LSU beat:

Some personal news pic.twitter.com/jLvoHel3Iv

— David Ching (@ESPNChing) April 26, 2017

College football writer Ted Miller, who covered the Pac-12 side of things:

Started at ESPN in 2008, but my tenure ended today. Worked w/ some great folks who are now friends. Onward to new challenges.

— Ted Miller (@TedMillerRK) April 26, 2017

Jeremy Crabtree and Derek Tyson, who covered recruiting:

Six years ago, made most difficult decision ever made leaving @Rivals to come to @ESPN. Even after being laid off today, I don’t regret it.

— Jeremy Crabtree (@jeremycrabtree) April 26, 2017

After 5 incredible years, I was laid off today by ESPN. I met & worked w/ some great people & I am very grateful to ESPN for the opportunity

— Derek Tyson (@DerekTysonESPN) April 26, 2017

Jarrett Bell is out after four years helping out with NFL coverage:

It's my birthday! And also the day to learn that my side gig @ESPN has come to an end. Great experience. So many classy people to thank.

— Jarrett Bell (@JarrettBell) April 26, 2017

ESPNU host Brendan Fitzgerald:

I was treated great by #ESPN during my 3 years. Time to find out what's next. Will miss all the great people I worked with! #ToTheNextStep pic.twitter.com/ZIBHFvFZeJ

— Brendan Fitzgerald (@BrendanFitzESPN) April 26, 2017

Paul Kuharsky, who covered the Tennessee Titans for ESPN.com, also announced he had been laid off earlier in the week:

Knew cuts were coming. Sad to say nine great years at ESPN end for me in July. Please stay tuned to @Midday180.

— Paul Kuharsky (@PaulKuharskyNFL) April 24, 2017

ESPN Insider soccer writer Mike L. Goodman tweeted that he is one of the people who is being let go:

And hey, it turns out one of those people is me. Loved my time at ESPN, and now it's time to figure out what's next.

— Mike L. Goodman (@TheM_L_G) April 26, 2017

Baseball writer Mark Saxon, who covered the Cardinals, is out after eight years:

Sports Break newsletter

National sports news, in your inbox daily.

Well, I'm a free agent. I learned a lot in eight years with ESPN and benefitted from being around a lot of smart people

— Mark Saxon (@markasaxon) April 26, 2017

As is Dodgers beat reporter Doug Padilla, out after seven:

Rough day. Just learned I will no longer be covering the Dodgers. Enjoyed my 7 years at ESPN. On to the next chapter.

— Doug Padilla (@DougPadilla) April 26, 2017

The layoffs are an attempt by ESPN to evolve in the wake of a two-headed challenge: a declining subscriber base and skyrocketing rights fees. Over the past five years, the network has lost somewhere around 12 million subscribers as the viewing public looks for cheaper avenues for home entertainment. At the same time, the money ESPN has paid to the professional sports leagues to acquire their live events steadily climbed. Last year, the network’s new nine-year agreement with the NBA to televise pro basketball games took effect. The reported cost to ESPN: somewhere around $1.5 billion per year, a massive increase over the previous deal. That’s on top of deals the network already had with the NFL ($1.9 billion annually), various NCAA conferences and the College Football Playoff (well over $1 billion), and Major League Baseball ($700 million). Some of those deals will be up for renewal in the not-so-distant future.

It’s the second round of layoffs at ESPN in less than two years. In October 2015, ESPN laid off around 300 people who worked behind the scenes. The network employs around 8,000 people in total.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,816 Times in 4,307 Posts

Re: (((espn))) ratings collapse yields 'massive' layoffs

That list reads like a who's who of who the hell are these people? I don't watch sports so have no idea who any of these people are.... Oh well.

The moment we can stop having "reporters" for modern day Romes "bread and circus" the better.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

cheka. (26th April 2017),collector (26th April 2017),Joshua01 (26th April 2017),Twisted Titan (26th April 2017)

Iridium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    That list reads like a who's who of who the hell are these people? I don't watch sports so have no idea who any of these people are.... Oh well.

The moment we can stop having "reporters" for modern day Romes "bread and circus" the better.
    looking at the names that got laid off -- seems odigo worked its magic again. the chosen are spared

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

Mark Dice; haven't watched yet but safe bet no J-bombs will be dropped

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/DnsKVYWh5e8/h...br2ajihhEGDOTo 5:18
    The Truth Behind ESPN Massive Layoffs

• 1 hour ago
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Iridium
    Thanks

gather 'round kids, let's watch science guy

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,607 Posts

This folks had a blast with DeflateGate. I see Tom Brady is still employed! Karma's a bitch!
    If you're offended by any of my posts tough shit!
    "Politicians Are Like Diapers, They Should Be Changed Often, And For The Same Reason"
    If you're not prepared for what's coming it's already too late!
    Niggers will never be satisfied!!

Iridium
    Thanks

and let's not forget the same company hid the info that dc madam gave them. fine journalists those Skype

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/sm...xclusive-clip/

In 2007, she went to ABC News and turned over a list of nearly 10,000 phone records spanning four years. ABC refused to reveal the names, and Palfrey accused the network of caving in.