Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mice

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,001 Posts

Re: Mice

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Well, I believe I got them all. No signs of them or traps snapped in the last couple of days.

Time to clean up and rebuild. I lost a lot of preps. 40 foot sailboat, loaded for TSHTF, poof...all gone, for the most part.
    where is boat docked/stored at?

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheka. View Post
    where is boat docked/stored at?
    Sounds like on some water somewhere.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    Sounds like on some water somewhere.
    Think he is docked near Otter marina near beer slough on the deep blue deep side of the pacific. Where he tries to avoid doing a Jonah when he is out fishing in the bay by passing whales = very small boat vs very big whale.

Think whalegulpm harbor is the name his slip is in.

"My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    Think he is docked near Otter marina near otter island on the deep blue deep side of the pacific. Where he tries to avoid doing a Jonah when he is out fishing in the bay by passing whales = very small boat vs very big whale.

Well he Otter take better care of his preps then
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,852 Posts

Forget the soft preps. How did the gold and silver survive?
    Make me one with everything.
    -- Zen Master to the hot dog vendor

Thanks

Yep ! Better moose proofing and containers for storage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by palani View Post
    Forget the soft preps. How did the gold and silver survive?
    The large moose's ate a hole in the bottom of his yacht and all of his pm's sank to the bottom of the bay, the boat flotation kept it from sinking but the pm's hit the very soft mud and sank out of sight and hope of recovery unless dredged through the mud to bedrock.

Think "Oak Island"

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Well, I learned this lesson, the hard way. Lesson = you leave home, anything can happen to your preps. You are not there to look after them. Also, the 4 legged critters can be worse than the 2 legged ones.

Here's what I learned.

1) With rats, good housekeeping means nothing. They will get into to whatever you've got, if they can. If you leave home for awhile, and if they can get in, they will get your preps. These rats chewed a hole through a 1 inch bulkhead, solid wood, to get at my stores. That's how determined they are.

2) Deny them entry. If they can't get in, they can't get your stuff, bottom line. Any opening greater than a 1/4 inch is suspect.

3) Canned goods. They can't get at them, all canned goods were fine. Vacuum sealed stuff, and MRE's, they destroy .

4) They have to chew. Their teeth keep growing and gnawing on things is the only way they can control it. Expect damage to a lot of things not related to food, such as wood, wiring, you name it.

5) The only way to fix the problem is to kill every single one of them. First, seal off the place so more can't get in. Stop their entry. Then, kill them. Traps work the best.
    life is good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Well, I learned this lesson, the hard way. Lesson = you leave home, anything can happen to your preps. You are not there to look after them. Also, the 4 legged critters can be worse than the 2 legged ones.

Here's what I learned.

1) With rats, good housekeeping means nothing. They will get into to whatever you've got, if they can. If you leave home for awhile, and if they can get in, they will get your preps. These rats chewed a hole through a 1 inch bulkhead, solid wood, to get at my stores. That's how determined they are.

2) Deny them entry. If they can't get in, they can't get your stuff, bottom line. Any opening greater than a 1/4 inch is suspect.

3) Canned goods. They can't get at them, all canned goods were fine. Vacuum sealed stuff, and MRE's, they destroy .

4) They have to chew. Their teeth keep growing and gnawing on things is the only way they can control it. Expect damage to a lot of things not related to food, such as wood, wiring, you name it.

5) The only way to fix the problem is to kill every single one of them. First, seal off the place so more can't get in. Stop their entry. Then, kill them. Traps work the best.
    You are learning, rat/moose proof your shit..look at cracks and such but I suspect you have learned that

Take those lessons to heart, and live them. and you should be ok..but always look behind youself, mainly because you will miss something.

Good luck.glad maybe you are ahead of it,

now how do you seal proof your docks ?

hehehehehe..

Huge mice ?

Unobtanium
    Thanks

Only poking fun with poor puns. I'm sorry that you've had the problem because it's a cost in time and $$ that no one needs.

Keeping the blighters out is a challenge everywhere. I myself lost a fair amount of preps last year because I personally got slack. Not rats but bugs. A lot of money went in the bin. No one to blame but myself. My lesson learned.

Rats will be around water and they will come across the mooring ropes or even swim if they can get a foot hold from the water. Some baits that won't leave a mess, although dead ones on board will leave a mess.

And yes, Cans sounds like your best option on a couple levels. Water tight, air tight, rodent proof.

Can you find one of those Canning co-op places in your area... that have those actual canning machines. Not sure if it was ImaCanin or someone else talk about those. I think a couple people mentioned them before. Buy regular preps then get some number 10's and seal them yourself?

Liberty Tree.