Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fried Chicken?

Iridium
    Thanks

Fried Chicken?

I'm considering trying to make fried chicken, as I've never done it before & who knows what is in the deli chicken.

I've looked online, and of course there are as many recipes/techniques as to be too much/too confusing to bother with. (& who to believe!)

Anyway, suggestions?

Thanks for any help/ideas.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint - Isaiah 40:31

Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. ~
    Matthew 7:7

geoengineeringwatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts
    My first few forays in frying chicken were not good. crispy on the outside and raw inside.

This vid has some good hints.

"My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Platinum
    Thanks
    Are you really asking for batter recipes?

I mean, frying chicken isn't rocket science. You have the option to pan fry or deep fry and you can pick your oil.

I pan fry in a cast iron deep skillet using peanut oil at 375F-400F. I work in batches so as to not overcome the temperature mass of the oil so the frying is quick and the chicken doesn't get saturated with oil.

As for the batter, well everyone does it different. I don't know that I ever do it the same way twice. I typically toss homemade bread crumbs, flour, salt, pepper, cayenne, marjoram, thyme, sage and paprika. I blend an egg with a small amount of milk to coat the chicken in prior to battering.

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 2,128 Posts
    I've never made it before either... would be good to have a nice simple recipe for it...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,633 Times in 3,208 Posts
    Small pieces to fry. You don't want big honkin breasts. Takes way to long to cook them. Risk of burning the oil along with the exterior while the interior is still uncooked.

Anymore, I grill chicken. Marinated in some Italian dressing. Mmmmm. Sorry for the derail.

You could still marinate the chicken then bread it and deep fry it. Same idea as injecting turkeys before deep frying.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Iridium
    Thanks
    So what do you do w/ all that used oil? Just toss it? Could add up for just a meal here or there!
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint - Isaiah 40:31

Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. ~
    Matthew 7:7

geoengineeringwatch.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MNeagle View Post
    So what do you do w/ all that used oil? Just toss it? Could add up for just a meal here or there!
    Think you can filter/strain it and recycle, best stored cold.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MNeagle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    Think you can filter/strain it and recycle, best stored cold.

What would you say Dogman, three uses as long as it gets strained and not burned?
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    What would you say Dogman, three uses as long as it gets strained and not burned?
    At least, if refrigerated maybe longer/more uses. But stored on the counter top , it should be OK if used at least once a week, two , three or more. Do it here, and as long as it smells and looks fine, it gets used.

The key is as you said , burned! If not it is good too go!

Has not killed me yet!

Hell when I cook beef with a lot of tallow/fat, I keep the grease and reuse.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    At least, if refrigerated maybe longer/more uses. But stored on the counter top , it should be OK if used at least once a week, two , three or more. Do it here, and as long as it smells and looks fine, it gets used.

The key is as you said , burned! If not it is good too go!

Has not killed me yet!

Hell when I cook beef with a lot of tallow/fat, I keep the grease and reuse.
    I would add that you need to do the french fries 1st and only on the first batch of chicken. No one want's chicken tastin fries.
    H.L. Mencken

H. L. Mencken