Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1957 Ration Combat Individual - Review and Taste test

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

Re: 1957 Ration Combat Individual - Review and Taste test

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    I actually came across a discussion about this topic a few hours ago, it seems that it's illegal if you are in the services to sell your rations or get US mil rations - military assets and sell for private profit. It seems you can trade in them if you are not in the service. I think it was the MREinfo forum where I was reading it.
    I just found this:

http://www.mreinfo.com/mres/us-govt-vs-ebay-auctions/

No actual statute (US Code) is cited, and, DLA is using different tactics to get them off eBay, leading one to believe the "illegality" is more hype than reality.

The US Postal Service claims "misuse" of their free Priority Mail boxes is illegal, too, but I've asked for a statute, and none is forthcoming.

So, it's a gray area. I wouldn't want to be a test subject in Federal "court," but I imagine quiet sales are no real problem. Getting caught as a soldier/sailor selling them is quite another problem, indeed.

The military personnel prohibition apparently stems from the great personal profits made during Katrina of pallets of MREs "liberated" from military stocks and sold privately.
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

2. The Following User Says Thank You to crimethink For This Useful Post:

Glass (25th June 2017)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by milehi View Post
    My neighbor across the street was in the Army in the very early 80's and says he was eating canned goods from WW2, depending on where he was at.
    A buddy of mine brought MRE's on a backpacking trip years ago and gave me one to try. It was steak in tomato sauce, and actually quite tasty. He told me after I ate it, it was from the Vietnam war. An old vet gave him a bunch of them. Apparently, since we didn't get sick, they last a long time.
    life is good.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    A buddy of mine brought MRE's on a backpacking trip years ago and gave me one to try. It was steak in tomato sauce, and actually quite tasty. He told me after I ate it, it was from the Vietnam war. An old vet gave him a bunch of them. Apparently, since we didn't get sick, they last a long time.
    Were they actual MREs, or something else? Meals Rejected by the Enemy (MREs) were introduced in 1981, 6 years after Vietnam officially ended. During the actual conflict, canned "MCIs" were issued, with "LRPs" supplementing them for special forces.

MREs are microbiologically safe indefinitely, provided they are not punctured or otherwise compromised, but as for nutritional value, that's quite another story.

MREs are electron beam irradiated: www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a273506.pdf
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

5. The Following User Says Thank You to crimethink For This Useful Post:

Hitch (25th June 2017)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crimethink View Post
    Were they actual MREs, or something else?
    Well, they must have been MCI's since we ate them from a can. I could have sworn he said MRE though, hell it's been 20 years maybe.

Damn I feel old. When you can't remember details from 20 years ago...
    life is good.

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Well, they must have been MCI's since we ate them from a can. I could have sworn he said MRE though, hell it's been 20 years maybe.

Damn I feel old. When you can't remember details from 20 years ago...
    Just wait until you can't remember details from yesterday...or when that pretty young filly calls you Sir. Anyway, it's not the feeling old, because I'm not convinced we ever do feel old from the inside. Its' the looking old from the outside. thats the bummer of it all.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

Hitch (26th June 2017)