Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ukraine govt, banks & airports hit by mass ransomware attack

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Re: Ukraine govt, banks & airports hit by mass ransomware attack

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    I know of people who have and in that case yes.

but the computer is done for. At a minimum the hard drive has to go and there are so many other vectors, it's best to trash it and move on.

I know of other examples where decrypt keys have been available. Very fortunate. But in some situations even the decrypt keys won't save you.

Cyber insurance definitely has a market.
    Funny thing abt hds. is unless you burn them into a melt down, the platters even if broken, the data not all lost,and recovery is more possable than you would think can be recovered by a good lab. Or crush the holy crap so the platters are crushed into dust.. which methinks maybe easy to do if they (platters are glass) but even then some kind of recovery maybe possible, unless they are slagged.

Truth.
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    Funny thing abt hds. is unless you burn them into a melt down, the platters even if broken, the data not all lost,and recovery is more possable than you would think can be recovered by a good lab. Or crush the holy crap so the platters are crushed into dust.. which methinks maybe easy to do if they (platters are glass) but even then some kind of recovery maybe possible, unless they are slagged.

Truth.
    yes. shredding disks is the only way. The same way they shred cars. Never simply bin your old computers. Strip the guts out, find a car wrecker or metal recycler/shredder and watch them toss your gear in and mangle it. Then hopefully off to the smelters.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks

yes. shredding disks is the only way. The same way they shred cars. Never simply bin your old computers. Strip the guts out, find a car wrecker or metal recycler/shredder and watch them toss your gear in and mangle it. Then hopefully off to the smelters.
    Huge frigging magnet works also, but the cover needs to be off, to wipe a drive (rare earth)

Sent using Forum Runner

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

try standing in front of the microwave with the door open. Let me know if that works,
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks

try standing in front of the microwave with the door open. Let me know if that works,

Kewl !

Talking to yourself,

LMAO !

Platinum
    Thanks

Nato warns cyber attacks 'could trigger Article 5' as world reels from Ukraine hack

A cyber attack against any member state would trigger c - Nato's mutual defence clause - the alliance has warned after a massive computer hack paralysed government ministries and dozens of businesses in Ukraine before spreading around the world.

The latest global cyber attack is believed to have been designed to cause chaos rather than extort money. Ukrainian officials have pointed at Russia, which is fighting an undeclared war with Ukraine in the east of the country and has been blamed for previous cyber attacks on Kiev.

Jens Stoltenberg, the Nato secretary general, said alliance members agreed last year that a cyber attack could trigger Article 5 of the north Atlantic treaty in the same way as a conventional military assault and promised more help to Ukraine to bolster its own cyber defences.

On Tuesday Michael Fallon, the British defence secretary, said the UK would consider retaliating with military means against a cyber attack by another state, reflecting rising concern about the militarization of cyber space the havoc such attacks can cause.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...tack-cripples/

Thankfully Ukraine is not apart of NATO

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C.Martel View Post
    Michael Fallon, the British defence secretary, said the UK would consider retaliating with military means against a cyber attack
    So, this prick is willing to risk nuclear war over some bankster and corporatist computers taken offline for a few days? Wow.

Or will they simply pin the blame falsely on someone like Assad?
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

So an insured party could claim the ransom costs? Does the insured need to mitigate their risk in anyway?
    I sell you an insurance package that covers the ransom.

In the event that u acquire that virus I am nowhere to be found.