Thread: Finally - Counterfeit Silver and Gold defeater

Electrum
    Thanks

Finally - Counterfeit Silver and Gold defeater

Today I got the PM verifier device in the mail.
    Sigma Metalytics makes them.
    The only thing that can reliably detect heavily plated/coated tungsten blanks in gold coins without breaking or scratching them, and is not astronomically priced

Which even xrf guns can't do

Works great for me so far. Detects tunsden, which I got two samples of.
    So far tested few coins and went through my collection of about 50-60 pieces of silverware, accumulated throughout early 2000th from eBay.
    Here are the results:
    70% - yes, real sterling
    30% - appear to be just 90% silver, not 92.5
    One my huge spoon turned out to be totally fake - no silver in it at all

Much better result than I was afraid of

I still have those GIM rounds with Masonic eye, which will be testing them next and suspicious silver bars of which I got quite a few and have no memory where I got them from

I am so very excited that now, finally, there is an affordable, but not cheap, device that can protect us , bugs, against those dumn Chinese fakers.

If you don't know what I am talking about - google videos for pressious metal verifier, sigma metalytics

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jcismylord For This Useful Post:

Hitch (4th July 2017),madfranks (3rd July 2017),midnight rambler (6th July 2017)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Re: Finally - Counterfeit Silver and Gold defeater

I have the fisch tester kit and it works well for gold, but can't test for tungsten. It's $169. The sigma seems to cost between $600-$700.

My question. If we buy gold through reputable sellers...does the chance of a gold tungsten fake coin getting past the seller justify the cost of this device?

EDIT: Looked into the sigma device a bit more, it looks fantastic. Portable, reliable, quick results. I'll have to talk to my local coin guy about it. You could take this device to a coin show or dealer and test your gold before buying it!
    life is good.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

A nice machine, but really only for professionals, either sellers, or shop prospectors. The stripped model is $625:

http://www.sigmametalytics.com/purchase.html

For casual buyers, just buy from a fully-reputable seller, know your shit (design, characteristics, etc.), and walk if your instinct says "something not right."
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crimethink For This Useful Post:

madfranks (4th July 2017),midnight rambler (6th July 2017)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crimethink View Post
    A nice machine, but really only for professionals, either sellers, or shop prospectors. The stripped model is $625:

http://www.sigmametalytics.com/purchase.html

For casual buyers, just buy from a fully-reputable seller, know your shit (design, characteristics, etc.), and walk if your instinct says "something not right."
    Yes, you could find a 1/2 oz gold eagle possibly for $625.

At this point, it would take a pretty good fake to pass my eye, especially with the fisch tester in hand. It would have to be a tungsten fake, and a very good one. My coin guy, the first time I bought from him, I asked about fakes. He shook his head, and said if "even one fake coin gets passed me, it would ruin my reputation, and I've been in business for over 25 years.". He gives a very fair spread on premiums, buying or selling. He will buy GAE's for spot from you, and Krugs for maybe $10-$15 less than spot, depending upon supply and demand.

Nonetheless, it's a very good machine and a great addition to the coin market. Machines like this one, make it a struggle for the fake coin market to succeed. If I was a dealer, I'd own one and test every coin I come across. Just to take care of customers.
    life is good.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

crimethink (4th July 2017),midnight rambler (6th July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crimethink View Post
    And that's just one of many. You ever browse alibaba? Here's one of dozens they list:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...392616957.html
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

10. The Following User Says Thank You to madfranks For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (6th July 2017)

Electrum
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    And that's just one of many. You ever browse alibaba? Here's one of dozens they list:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...392616957.html
    Those tungsten-core, super high quality gold eagles that you have linked were my big concern over the years, because neither fitch ladder, no magnet, no specific gravity test, no xrf gun, no ultrasound thickness/defect test would detect them and the ringing audio test is clumsy, subjective and not authoritative .

That's why I am glad to own this new device, even though the pain was north of 700$

Note that I am not affiliated with anybody and do your own research before buying anything

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcismylord For This Useful Post:

madfranks (5th July 2017),midnight rambler (6th July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcismylord View Post
    Those tungsten-core, super high quality gold eagles that you have linked were my big concern over the years, because neither fitch ladder, no magnet, no specific gravity test, no xrf gun, no ultrasound thickness/defect test would detect them and the ringing audio test is clumsy, subjective and not authoritative .

That's why I am glad to own this new device, even though the pain was north of 700$

Note that I am not affiliated with anybody and do your own research before buying anything
    Some vendors on there offer varying thicknesses of gold plating, up to 60 mils thick, so scratch tests won't show the tungsten core either. The sophistication of counterfeits is stunning! I've even seen counterfeit mercury dimes, which I assumed we wouldn't see with silver being as cheap as it is, but sure enough they are out there.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madfranks For This Useful Post:

jcismylord (5th July 2017),midnight rambler (6th July 2017)