Thread: GSUS fitness prep challenge - for 2011

Electrum
    Thanks

GSUS fitness prep challenge - for 2011

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone is interested in taking part in an extreme fitness prep challenge ?

Im not talking about a week long diet of celery and lentils here, and Im not talking about a 'trip of a lifetime' to casually stroll up some mountains in the Andes.

This idea makes PX90 looks easy too

Le Etape du Tour, 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKZupE56ixs

Last year, only 25% of the thousands who took part survived. Not bad odds.

Crazy idea, here is what you would NEED as a bare minimum :
    - About $5000 for equipment, and airfares. minimum.
    - AT LEAST 12 months of serious preparation work, all year round, regardless of weather.
    - A complete and utter change of lifestyle, you need to remodel your physiology totally, and retrain your mind.
    - You need to learn how to objectively measure whats happening inside your own body, and understand how it works.
    - Age or gender is no barrier. There are 80yo's who do this every year ... because they put the time in and look after themselves.
    - A strong will and mental toughness is not enough to get you over the line - you cant cheat physics, you need to put the miles in.
    - Technology and money do help, but they wont save you from suffering in the mountains.
    - Physical disabilities - diabetes, cancer, lung damage, missing a leg, etc ... well, I can give plenty of examples where such obstacles do not stop other people from doing this. One of my best riding buddies has a carbon fibre leg, and I cant keep up with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oys0ECqVq4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4GchM_89kk

Not a trivial commitment. Have a long hard think about it ... for a few weeks .... and let me know if you would like to be part of a GSUS assault team on the 2011 Etape du Tour. Especially if you have NEVER ridden a bike in recent memory ... and especially if you take one look at that and say "There is no way I could do that"

Palladium
    Thanks

Re: GSUS fitness prep challenge - for 2011

I would love to do something like this but I'm not sure if I'll have the time

Sounds like a great idea though and im looking forward to reading about it
    “Truth is hate to those who hate the truth. -author unknown

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Re: GSUS fitness prep challenge - for 2011

Quote Originally Posted by steveoc View Post
    Hi All,

I wonder if anyone is interested in taking part in an extreme fitness prep challenge ?

I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.