Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $20 Pre-33 Gold coins $25 over spot!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

$20 Pre-33 Gold coins $25 over spot!

Crazy good deal right now, JM Bullion offering pre-33 $20 gold liberty coins in AU condition for $1280 each! As of this post, that's only $25 over spot. Plus they take bitcoin; I don't think I can resist this deal, going to buy a couple BTC worth.

https://www.jmbullion.com/20-liberty...uble-eagle-au/
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madfranks For This Useful Post:

Camp Bassfish (24th July 2017),Hitch (21st July 2017),monty (21st July 2017)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Re: $20 Pre-33 Gold coins $25 over spot!

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    Crazy good deal right now, JM Bullion offering pre-33 $20 gold liberty coins in AU condition for $1280 each! As of this post, that's only $25 over spot. Plus they take bitcoin; I don't think I can resist this deal, going to buy a couple BTC worth.

Thanks franks! I just ordered one. What a great deal. Been working a lot and figured I'd take advantage of this offer and treat myself.

They are even less expensive than a 1 oz gold krug at JM Bullion currently. I'm really excited about this opportunity to get pre-33 gold at these prices!
    life is good.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

madfranks (21st July 2017)

Iridium
    Thanks

franks, did you get your coins?

I got a beautiful 1904 double eagle. It's in fantastic shape, all the details on the coin are perfect, and it only has a few very small surface scratches, but otherwise this coin might be one worth sending in to be graded. I kind of like holding a piece of american history in my hands though. Some argue the liberty head eagle is the most beautiful coin ever minted, and I'm tending to agree on that!

Also, the deal is still on surprisingly! With gold being $1269 currently, these eagles are only $11 over spot now! $1280 for an AU coin!

life is good.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

Camp Bassfish (31st July 2017)

Thanks

I did get my coins (bought three of them), and while they're nice coins, I wouldn't classify them as AU; they are XF at best. The price is still excellent, so no complaints, but it sounds like you got lucky with yours Hitch!
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

8. The Following User Says Thank You to madfranks For This Useful Post:

Hitch (31st July 2017)

Iridium
    Thanks

I did get my coins (bought three of them), and while they're nice coins, I wouldn't classify them as AU; they are XF at best. The price is still excellent, so no complaints, but it sounds like you got lucky with yours Hitch!
    I think I got lucky with the grade, but it's a very common date. 1904 was the year of the highest number of these coins minted, over 6 million.

I think this coin might even be a low MS grade. I've been looking at some pictures of slabbed MS coins online to compare. I figure jmbullion wouldn't have sent me a MS coin, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.
    life is good.

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,001 Posts

likely cleaned, no? i read that you can convert a cleaned coin to au/xf by carrying it around in your pocket. dunno...

Iridium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheka. View Post
    likely cleaned, no? i read that you can convert a cleaned coin to au/xf by carrying it around in your pocket. dunno...
    Hmm...hope it's not cleaned. I don't know how to tell though.

I got curious about prices in San Francisco back in 1904, when this coin was minted. Rent back then seems to average about $6 a month. So, a $20 gold piece would buy you over 3 months rent. Rent today in SF, $3800 a month on average. You can buy 3 gold eagles for that. So, it would take about 3 $20 gold pieces to pay for one month's rent now!
    life is good.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

Camp Bassfish (1st August 2017),cheka. (31st July 2017),madfranks (31st July 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheka. View Post
    Mine are not cleaned, in fact they're a bit dirty but like I said for the price I'm not complaining.
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Hmm...hope it's not cleaned. I don't know how to tell though.
    Read this, it might help you figure it out:

https://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/cleaned-coins/
    - Lew Rockwell

15. The Following User Says Thank You to madfranks For This Useful Post:

Hitch (31st July 2017)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,001 Posts

Mine are not cleaned, in fact they're a bit dirty but like I said for the price I'm not complaining.
    being a cheapskate i have bought many cleaned coins you got a great deal cleaned or not