Thread: Richmond mayor wants Confederate statues on Monument Avenue removed

Thanks
    Thanked 6,454 Times in 4,275 Posts

Richmond mayor wants Confederate statues on Monument Avenue removed

Richmond mayor wants Confederate statues on Monument Avenue removed

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnew....jpg?ve=1&tl=1

The mayor of Richmond, Virginia on Wednesday said he wants to see the removal of Confederate statues on the city’s famous avenue of monuments.

FILE- In this June 22, 2017, file photo Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney gestures during a news conference at City Hall in Richmond, Va. In the wake of a violent white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Stoney says his city should consider removing or relocating its Confederate statues. Stoney's announcement Wednesday is a reversal from a position he took earlier this year. In June, he said he thought the monuments should stay but have context added about what they represent and why they were built. (AP Photo/Steve Helber, File) Expand / Collapse

Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney gestures during a news conference at City Hall in Richmond, Va. (AP Photo/Steve Helber, File)

“I wish they had never been built,” Democratic Mayor Levar Stoney said in a statement.

He added, “These monuments should be part of our dark past and not of our bright future. I personally believe they are offensive and need to be removed.”

During the Civil War, Richmond served as the capital of the Confederacy.

The city’s Monument Avenue memorializes a number of famous Confederate heroes, including Robert E Lee, Jefferson Davis, “Stonewall” Jackson, J.E.B Stuart and Matthew Fontaine Maury.

Stoney said Thursday he is asking the Monument Avenue Commission to examine the “the removal and/or relocation of some or all of the Confederate statues.”

“Let me be clear: we will not tolerate allowing these statues and their history to be used as a pretext for hate and violence, or to allow our city to be threatened by white supremacists and neo-Nazi thugs,” he said. “We will protect our city and keep our residents safe.”

Cities and states have accelerated their plans to remove Confederate monuments from public property as the violence over a Robert E. Lee statue in Charlottesville, Virginia, moved leaders across the country to plan to wipe away much of the remaining Old South imagery.
    Jackie did it and you know it!

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,607 Posts

Re: Richmond mayor wants Confederate statues on Monument Avenue removed

When are all these tough southern rebels going to get up off their asses and fight back? They need to at least show a presence and a refusal to accept this nigger as a leader any longer
    If you're offended by any of my posts tough shit!
    "Politicians Are Like Diapers, They Should Be Changed Often, And For The Same Reason"
    If you're not prepared for what's coming it's already too late!
    Niggers will never be satisfied!!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

I personally believe they are offensive and need to be removed
    I personally believe you are offensive and need to be removed.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madfranks For This Useful Post:

Joshua01 (17th August 2017),TroyOz (17th August 2017)

Thanks

(I picked this off a comment on another forum)...

Confederate soldiers, sailors, and marines that fought in the Civil War were made U.S. veterans by an act of Congress in 1957.
    U.S. Public Law 85-425 Sec. 410 5/23/1958

This made all Confederate military veterans equal to U.S. veterans!

Additionally under U.S. Public Law 810;
    Approved by the 17th Congress on February 26th, 1929:
    The War Department was directed to erect headstones and Confederate grave sites as U.S. war grave sites.

The last Confederate soldier died in the 1950's.
    So, in essence, when you remove a Confederate statue, monument, or headstone; you are removing
    the statue, monument, or headstone of a U.S. veteran.

Standard Disclaimer: You can of course review any of the following...

U.S. Public Law 810, Approved by 17th Congress 26 February 1929

(45 Stat 1307 – Currently on the books as 38 U.S. Code, Sec. 2306)

U.S. Public Law 85-425: Sec. 410 Approved 23 May 1958

(US Statutes at Large Volume 72, Part 1, Page 133-134)

U.S. Code Title 38 –Veterans’ Benefits, Part II –General Benefits, Chapter 15 Pension for Non-Service-Connected Disability or Death or for Service, Su General, § 1501. Definitions: (3…) The term “Civil War veteran” includes a person that served in the military or naval forces of the Confederate States of American Civil War, and the term “active military or naval service” includes active s those forces.

Standard Disclaimer: General Robert E. Lee was a top graduate from West Point. (Yeah, in the state of NY)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TroyOz For This Useful Post:

madfranks (17th August 2017),monty (17th August 2017)