Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear spray test

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Bear spray test

I tested an old can of bear pepper spray, dated to expire in 2011, this afternoon. I've kept this can in my vehicle for the 2 legged bears, but thankfully never needed it.

My father and mother are leaving for a long camping trip into bear country, so I told them about this product. I thought it might be a good idea for them to bring it. I offered them my can, though didn't realize that it expired 6 years ago. Once I realized just how old this thing was, well...

So, my father and I took it out back, to see what this old bear spray could do...

Wow. The spray blasted out of the can with a big whoosh reaching out maybe 30-40 feet. It was high pressured, all pepper and power. Cock and balls, in a can. If you hit someone directly in the face with this product, you'd disable them from the attack, instantly. Any living thing would drop from this stuff.

6 years expired, and, would have saved my life if I needed it. I'll be replacing this shortly.

This is the product:

http://www.mace.com/mace-bear-pepper-spray
    life is good.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

crimethink (28th August 2017),midnight rambler (29th August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

Re: Bear spray test

Expiration dates are "we guarantee this to work by" and not truly "this product will be worthless after this date." Almost always a legal liability matter, and not a functionality matter.

Not that I care if one needs to use it for self-defense, but there is potentially civil & criminal liability if one uses "bear spray" on humans and humanoids, even for self-defense.* Will you be prosecuted if you use it for bona fide self-defense? Probably not, even in California. Could you be sued? Much more likely. "My client was only trying to make new friends by letting himself into the house, and the defendant used bear spray on him, inconsistent with its labeling!"

* Bear spray is legal in nearly all states for bears, but many states prohibit "tear gas weapons" against humans/humanoids. In California, the legal limit for peons (non-cops, non-elite) on pepper spray ("tear gas weapon") is 2.5 ounces (70 grams). Bear spray is usually three or four times that.
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crimethink For This Useful Post:

Hitch (28th August 2017),hoarder (29th August 2017)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

I hear ya, but if my life is threatened, and all I've got to defend myself is this bear spray. I'll use it. This is CA, I can't keep a loaded gun in my car.

Bear spray is legal to keep. If you have a camper, like me, you need it for bears anyway. If a person attacks you, and it's all you've got to defend yourself, and you use it, while in fear for your life....what court is going to argue that? I doubt a blast of pepper would even prompt someone to file a civil suit. It's a temporary learning lesson pain. It'll go away, but the lesson should remain permanent.
    life is good.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

Camp Bassfish (29th August 2017),crimethink (29th August 2017),midnight rambler (29th August 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    I hear ya, but if my life is threatened, and all I've got to defend myself is this bear spray. I'll use it. This is CA, I can't keep a loaded gun in my car.

Bear spray is legal to keep. If you have a camper, like me, you need it for bears anyway. If a person attacks you, and it's all you've got to defend yourself, and you use it, while in fear for your life....what court is going to argue that? I doubt a blast of pepper would even prompt someone to file a civil suit. It's a temporary learning lesson pain. It'll go away, but the lesson should remain permanent.
    Oh, no question: use it if you're under attack, by a bear or a two-legged predator. Judged by 12 rather than carried by 6, if it even gets to that.
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

Thanks

In addition to being chemically more powerful than people pepper spray, bear spray is like a flamethrower compared to the typical keychain pepper spray:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

My bear spray is a S&W .44 Magnum. It sprays lead.

I had a large can of bear spray years ago and I had similar results when I tested it years after expiration. What usually goes wrong with spray products is partial solidification of the liquid resulting in clogging. Since pepper spray is an organic compound I assume they used an adequate amount of preservative.
    The main reason bear spray hasn't caught on more than it has is that the reliability is not as good as a firearm nor is it as fast on the draw.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoarder For This Useful Post:

crimethink (29th August 2017),midnight rambler (29th August 2017),Tumbleweed (29th August 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoarder View Post
    My bear spray is a S&W .44 Magnum. It sprays lead.

I had a large can of bear spray years ago and I had similar results when I tested it years after expiration. What usually goes wrong with spray products is partial solidification of the liquid resulting in clogging. Since pepper spray is an organic compound I assume they used an adequate amount of preservative.
    The main reason bear spray hasn't caught on more than it has is that the reliability is not as good as a firearm nor is it as fast on the draw.
    My preference is a rifle. Bear Spray has its place: when a firearm cannot be deployed, or by those who won't handle a firearm (stupid, but such is life).

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crimethink For This Useful Post:

hoarder (29th August 2017),Tumbleweed (29th August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 3,216 Posts
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

14. The Following User Says Thank You to osoab For This Useful Post:

Tumbleweed (29th August 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    Note to self:
    If I ever make a youtube video of myself spraying bear spray, make sure I spray it downwind.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hoarder For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crimethink View Post
    My preference is a rifle. Bear Spray has its place: when a firearm cannot be deployed, or by those who won't handle a firearm (stupid, but such is life).
    My preference would be a 50 caliber machine gun, but a 44 mag revolver is more along the lines of something I would be likely to be carrying in bear country unless it's elk season, in which case I would have my 3006.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to hoarder For This Useful Post: