Thread: CCleaner Compromised to Distribute Malware for Almost a Month

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

CCleaner Compromised to Distribute Malware for Almost a Month

CCleaner Compromised to Distribute Malware for Almost a Month

Version 5.33 of the CCleaner app offered for download between August 15 and September 12 was modified to include the Floxif malware, according to a report published by Cisco Talos a few minutes ago.

Floxif is a malware downloader that gathers information about infected systems and sends it back to its C&C server. The malware also had the ability to download and run other binaries, but at the time of writing, there is no evidence that Floxif downloaded additional second-stage payloads on infected hosts.

The malware collected information such as computer name, a list of installed software, a list of running processes, MAC addresses for the first three network interfaces, and unique IDs to identify each computer in part. Researchers noted that the malware only ran on 32-bit systems. The malware also quit execution if the user was not using an administrator account.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/ccleaner-compromised-to-distribute-malware-for-almost-a-month/

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/ccleaner-utility-malware-infected,news-25851.html

I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

Bubble Fat (18th September 2017),cheka. (18th September 2017),hoarder (18th September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

Re: CCleaner Compromised to Distribute Malware for Almost a Month

Ironic I just ran CCleaner before relaunching FF & logging into GSUS; then to see your thread;

Researchers noted that the malware only ran on 32-bit systems.
    so a 64 bit win-10 box is clear? My CCleaner reads v5.34.6207 (64 bit)
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz