Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bitcoin cash BCH

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Re: Bitcoin cash BCH

Quote Originally Posted by optionT View Post
    Hey Ares, I have bitcoin on a paper wallet, whats the easiest and safest way to extract the bcash from it?
    Thanks!
    Just download a BCash wallet and redeem the BTC paper wallet to the BCash wallet. You’ll still be able to redeem the original BTC at a later time if desired, because it’s on a different chain.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    Just download a BCash wallet and redeem the BTC paper wallet to the BCash wallet. You’ll still be able to redeem the original BTC at a later time if desired, because it’s on a different chain.
    Do you know which bcash wallet is recommended and is safe? Would I have to expose my private keys?
    "We can guarantee cash benefits as far out and at whatever size you like, but we cannot guarantee their purchasing power." – Alan Greenspan

Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hey Ares, I have bitcoin on a paper wallet, whats the easiest and safest way to extract the bcash from it?
    Thanks!
    Depends on how you want to do it? There is the Bitcoin Cash wallet, the downside is you would have to download the entire Bitcoin Cash blockchain (about 145GB at the moment).

You can use a Web wallet, or you can use the method I used which was with my smartphone using the Coinomi wallet.

https://coinomi.com/

Keep in mind that you are putting your recovery phrase, private key into another client. So for safety reasons move the coins to a different paper wallet to ensure that they stay safe. Coinomi has good reviews and is a safe wallet, but I like to lean on the side of safety and if I use a recovery phrase in another wallet I consider that wallet to be compromised and I move my assets to a new wallet with a new private key / recovery phrase BEFORE attempting to sweep my forked Bitcoin assets.

That saved me with the Bitcoin Gold fork, the fucking idiot devs put a wallet on their site that was compromised and the wallet provider (he hacked the github code to send the recovery phrases back to him) and stole 3.3 million worth of Bitcoin. I used that wallet, but I moved my BTC to a new wallet before I put the recovery phrase into the compromised Bitcoin Gold wallet.

https://news.bitcoin.com/bitcoin-gol...d-3-3-million/

So I would strongly suggest doing that, just in case.
    Last edited by Ares; 27th November 2017 at 08:19 PM.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

Thanks

So I transfer the entirety of my bitcoins from the paper wallet to another paper wallet. Then I use the original paper wallets private keys to access bcash? Also, I dont have an android. I did find that https://electroncash.org/? has been used often, are you familiar with that one?

Edit to add: What about the bitcoin gold? Would that get affected by importing the private key to get the bcash?
    "We can guarantee cash benefits as far out and at whatever size you like, but we cannot guarantee their purchasing power." – Alan Greenspan

Thanks

So I transfer the entirety of my bitcoins from the paper wallet to another paper wallet. Then I use the original paper wallets private keys to access bcash? Also, I dont have an android. I did find that https://electroncash.org/? has been used often, are you familiar with that one?

Edit to add: What about the bitcoin gold? Would that get affected by importing the private key to get the bcash?
    Yeah you can use electron cash. Once you move your primary Bitcoin assests to a new wallet with a new private key, you can do what you want with your forked assets. But move and or exchange them as soon as possible, just in case the wallet is compromised.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

Edit to add: What about the bitcoin gold?
    Well that worthless pos shitcoin you can just throw away, or you can send it to me and I dispose of it environmentally in a special mineshaft safe for future generations!
    Cultural Marxism: -The idea that good, hard working, white people should pay for those who are not, and thus in the name of equality create the conditions for their own genetic annihilation

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neuro For This Useful Post:

madfranks (28th November 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Yeah you can use electron cash. Once you move your primary Bitcoin assests to a new wallet with a new private key, you can do what you want with your forked assets. But move and or exchange them as soon as possible, just in case the wallet is compromised.
    Thanks for your help Ares!

Ill keep that in mind Neuro, haha!

Thanks

Thanks for your help Ares!

Ill keep that in mind Neuro, haha!
    No problem, forgot to say that Bitcoin Gold would not be affected. You can use the same Recovery passphrase / Private key for both. I can't stress enough to move your BTC holdings to a new wallet first though.

Thanks

With the bitcoin being on a paper wallet, Im running into some difficulty going from paper wallet to paper wallet. What are your thoughts about transferring the bitcoin from the paper wallet to electrum? Followed by transferring it again to a paper wallet. Safety wise, is the process relatively safe?

Also, what are your thoughts on a paper wallet vs a hardware wallet like ledger? Both are cold storage, is one considered more safe?

Thanks!

Thanks

With the bitcoin being on a paper wallet, Im running into some difficulty going from paper wallet to paper wallet. What are your thoughts about transferring the bitcoin from the paper wallet to electrum? Followed by transferring it again to a paper wallet. Safety wise, is the process relatively safe?

Also, what are your thoughts on a paper wallet vs a hardware wallet like ledger? Both are cold storage, is one considered more safe?

Thanks!
    I love ledger, and is what I ended up moving my crypto assets to. They also are pretty prompt in developing a Bitcoin fork wallet to allow you to sweep your Bitcoin forked assets without the risk of exposing your private key to a third party wallet.

I would go that route, it's easy to use and just requires you having to plug in your hardware wallet via USB in order to access your wallet.