Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling silver for profit

Zinc
    Thanks

Selling silver for profit

I'm trying to figure out the best place to buy from.

Some sites have silver cheaper, but you pay shipping.

Other sites have silver a little more expensive, but you don't pay shipping.

When it comes time to sell would it be better to have paid for the silver and no shipping?

Reason I ask is for taxes. Can I count the shipping in with how much I paid for it when doing taxes later on? I know with the silver itself it's just how much you paid and how much of a profit from it that really matters.

I figure it's better to ask now then later on.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

Re: Selling silver for profit

Quote Originally Posted by Zodoga View Post

When it comes time to sell would it be better to have paid for the silver and no shipping?

Reason I ask is for taxes. Can I count the shipping in with how much I paid for it when doing taxes later on? I know with the silver itself it's just how much you paid and how much of a profit from it that really matters.

Buy the cheapest you can including shipping, from someone who isn't going to rip you off. I am sure you can include the shipping costs in your purchase for your taxes, as it is part of purchase price.
    Cultural Marxism: -The idea that good, hard working, white people should pay for those who are not, and thus in the name of equality create the conditions for their own genetic annihilation

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neuro For This Useful Post:

Zodoga (26th November 2017)

Zinc
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neuro View Post
    Buy the cheapest you can including shipping, from someone who isn't going to rip you off. I am sure you can include the shipping costs in your purchase for your taxes, as it is part of purchase price.
    I'll keep it on the spreadsheet then. Thank you.

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Yes, a spreadsheet is good advise.

As members of a precious metals investing community, it's our responsibility to report any capital gains profits on pm's to the proper authorities for tax reasons. Failure to do so would be unlawful, and anyone suggesting such, should be reprimanded.

For example, I buy PM's in cash from my local guy. I also sell PM's to him and receive cash. It's up to me to report the difference. Unfortunately, I'm a very bad investor, having bought at the high price several years ago, and sold at the low. It's all in the spreadsheet to show how unfortunate I've been.
    life is good.

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,001 Posts

op - which dealers are you buying from, and why?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

As members of a precious metals investing community, it's our responsibility to report any capital gains profits on pm's to the proper authorities for tax reasons. Failure to do so would be unlawful, and anyone suggesting such, should be reprimanded.

For example, I buy PM's in cash from my local guy. I also sell PM's to him and receive cash. It's up to me to report the difference. Unfortunately, I'm a very bad investor, having bought at the high price several years ago, and sold at the low. It's all in the spreadsheet to show how unfortunate I've been.
    You're lucky! I keep having these boating accidents. I guess I should record that as a loss when I file my tax returns? But it feels wrong to let government pay for my mistakes, and acts of God...
    Cultural Marxism: -The idea that good, hard working, white people should pay for those who are not, and thus in the name of equality create the conditions for their own genetic annihilation

Thanks
    Thanked 6,454 Times in 4,275 Posts

Profits?
    Jackie did it and you know it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

Speadsheet will do you no good with gov, you need an actual receipt or bank transaction. Zero basis for you - pay up!

Zinc
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheka. View Post
    op - which dealers are you buying from, and why?
    One of the major websites.

Stacking 10 oz bars over a long period of time (maybe 50-70 years). Hoping in the long run I will be profitable.

Trying to get everything set up correctly now so I don't have to go back and set it up if something happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebu_4_2 View Post
    Profits?
    Probably didn't word it the best way. If you make a profit I should of said.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyOz View Post
    Speadsheet will do you no good with gov, you need an actual receipt or bank transaction. Zero basis for you - pay up!
    I'm keeping the receipts as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zodoga View Post

I dunno, I go to a Coin Store 10 minutes away that also sells bullion.
    Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum - I think that I think, therefore I think that I am

My GPG Pub key:
    http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=steyr_m&op=index&fingerprint=on