Thread: Why some of us stubbornly look to the King James Version of the Bible

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

Why some of us stubbornly look to the King James Version of the Bible

I receive an email each night with a Bible verse.

Tonight's:

Luke 2:14

The email uses what many call the New International (Per)Version, and its text of this verse doesn't mesh with what I recall growing up:

"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

Whoa, what?!

This is what I remember, by heart:

"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

Notice the difference?

Even my preferred secondary version, in "modern English," the New American Standard, perverts this verse:

"Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased."

It is interesting that many consider Yahweh God to have been a "meanie" in olden times, but the new "enlightened age" has made Him a nice(r) guy. Yet the "olde text" is what makes Yahweh look more compassionate to all His creation.

When studying the Bible, always compare the verse you're reading to how the grand English standard, the King James Version, lays it out.
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crimethink For This Useful Post:

Hitch (26th December 2017),madfranks (26th December 2017),woodman (26th December 2017)