Thread: suturing kit

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

suturing kit

I could use some advise on what type of suturing kit to add to my medical supplies. I have a very good first aid kit, but I learned today I need to add a suturing kit, and furthermore, learn how to actually suture a wound on myself. What do y'all have in your kits?

I sliced open a finger pretty good today. It was a very clean cut, but when looking how deep it was, some muscle tissue spilled out of the wound. There was no damage to the muscle, so I carefully pushed it back in and wrapped up the wound really good with a lot of antibiotic ointment. I'm kicking myself, because this would have been the perfect opportunity to try my hand at suturing, one handed actually, if it's even possible one-handed.
    life is good.

Iridium
    Thanks

Re: suturing kit

Good video to watch. Suturing doesn't look that difficult to learn, actually.

life is good.

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,142 Posts

Needle and thread. We used to get a ruptured pig once in a while when castrating and would have to sew them up. You don't do it tight. Leave a hole for drainage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUDJ1TLDcJM

By the way this video is good if you can't afford a vasectomy. Oh, and the guys technique is all wrong. He is cutting too high. Remember what I said about draining.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ziero0 For This Useful Post:

Hitch (30th January 2018)

Iridium
    Thanks

I'd like to get a proper kit, and have the knowledge to do this the right way. Cheap insurance. Plus, add some liquid stitch material, for small cuts like I've got today. This is to prepare for SHTF, where the hospitals might not be reachable. I'd like to be able to stitch up injured folks around me, to limit scarring and proper healing. I've got all the stuff to control bleeding, splints, pain killers, and such, but not so much for anything serious.
    life is good.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Surgical staple gun, and super glue not expensive. Have both and a minor surgery kit! Sutures do have their place, but are more involved in use, and doing yourself makes it worse if the shock wears off and the real pain begans!

Plug the leaks, until better expert/experienced care is found! Clean it, staple and glue for temp fix!

Butterfly' bandages are a help also!
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dogman For This Useful Post:

Hitch (30th January 2018)