Thread: Jeff Bezos, car thieves' best friend

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Jeff Bezos, car thieves' best friend

Bezos to car thieves: "Order today, get the tools of your trade tomorrow!"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...le-Amazon.html
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Re: Jeff Bezos, car thieves' best friend

"A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 4,272 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    I don't see nothing.
    Jackie did it and you know it!

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

Technology (for nefarious purposes) for sale from Amazon? Wow... didn't see that coming. There oughta be a law, I say. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Snap-on sells this stuff, I believe.
    By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 4,306 Posts

This is more about cops crying wolf to increase their budgets. This technology has been out since the 90's at least. I remember the first cell phone jammer could be had on eBay back in 1999 (I know because I bought it). It was built in China, made it past customs and I had it within a week. I used to use it back in movie theaters, hear a cellphone ring, flip the switch call is over.

Banning the sales of them on Amazon or eBay will do absolutely nothing to stop car theft. What manufacturers need to do is get more creative with their security, such as implementing 2 factor authentication. Most vehicles anymore have an in console touch screen, just add an additional function to ask for a PIN in order to complete the cars startup cycle.

The other option would be to implement a kill switch on the primary remote(s), make it hardware cryptographic key that stored within the remote and if it is missing or is incorrect the car will not start. If you lose your remotes, you'll have to get a new set of remotes with a new cryptographic key, and likely have the entire cars ECM reprogrammed. The key is to have the cars ECM using the cryptographic key as a check function. Since the key cannot be copied (there are ways to do it, Bitcoin hardware wallets have this technology) and at the same time having that key be part of the ECMs functional security checks it will make car theft damn near impossible.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

madfranks (23rd April 2018)

BANNED (Permanent)
    Thanks

most rich people in the world,salute.http://gshort.click/buluhidung/34/o.png

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    The other option would be to implement a kill switch on the primary remote(s), make it hardware cryptographic key that stored within the remote and if it is missing or is incorrect the car will not start.
    Please keep your "remote robotic car operation" copyrights to your own car.