Thread: Mossberg shotguns have fatal flaw! Don't drop it!

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Mossberg shotguns have fatal flaw! Don't drop it!

Bummer. I just got one too.

Jump to 4:30 in this video, he explains the problem in two minutes.

"A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,142 Posts

Re: Mossberg shotguns have fatal flaw! Don't drop it!

It is also a good idea not to jam the muzzle into dirt before you fire it.

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,607 Posts

I'll take my chances. I've had a Mossberg 500 for over 10 years and it's never gone off by itself all this time. I swear people are afraid of their own shadows these days. Be careful you don't hold the wrong end of your steak knife when carving up your next porterhouse. Steak knives have a fatal flaw that prohibits someone from holding the blade end firmly
    If you're offended by any of my posts tough shit!
    "Politicians Are Like Diapers, They Should Be Changed Often, And For The Same Reason"
    If you're not prepared for what's coming it's already too late!
    Niggers will never be satisfied!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joshua01 For This Useful Post:

Neuro (28th April 2018),osoab (24th April 2018)

Thanks

I have no idea what you two are talking about since the OP is about the lifter becoming dislodged on a Mossy when dropped.

I dropped mine from about foot onto a carpeted floor and sure enough the lifter became dislodged. Spoke with my gunsmith about coming up with a remedy.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    I have no idea what you two are talking about since the OP is about the lifter becoming dislodged on a Mossy when dropped.

I dropped mine from about foot onto a carpeted floor and sure enough the lifter became dislodged. Spoke with my gunsmith about coming up with a remedy.
    The remedy may be simple. If you were to bend the sides out so they had to be forced into place, I doubt it would deform so easily when dropped.

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,607 Posts

Alright, you caught me! I assumed the worst (kill-y) and did not view the video. My sincere apologies and I beg your forgiveness kind sir!

If you're offended by any of my posts tough shit!
    "Politicians Are Like Diapers, They Should Be Changed Often, And For The Same Reason"
    If you're not prepared for what's coming it's already too late!
    Niggers will never be satisfied!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    The remedy may be simple. If you were to bend the sides out so they had to be forced into place, I doubt it would deform so easily when dropped.
    Doing so may affect the function in an adverse way. I spoke with my gunsmith about taping the pins for screws.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

woodman (24th April 2018)

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

Doing so may affect the function in an adverse way. I spoke with my gunsmith about taping the pins for screws.
    Yes, that would work. If you tapped each side and put good quality pan head screws in, it could not back out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    Yes, that would work. If you tapped each side and put good quality pan head screws in, it could not back out.
    Still concerned about installing anything which may interfere with function. Will post updates.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

What a hair trigger blunderbuss.

Only thing I would do is run the action a couple thousand times to make it wornout.