Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOD ditching 7.62 NATO (.308) and 5.56 NATO (.223) and going to...

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

DOD ditching 7.62 NATO (.308) and 5.56 NATO (.223) and going to...

...6.5 Creedmore across the board for all light small arms including belt fed SAWs so they only have one caliber to keep on hand.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

2. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

vacuum (21st July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,380 Times in 2,414 Posts

Re: DOD ditching 7.62 NATO (.308) and 5.56 NATO (.223) and going to...

From what I'm reading, they are only going to 6.5 creedmoor for snipers at this point.

The next gen weapon hasn't been specified yet, other than it will likely be chambered in the 6 to 6.8 mm range.

Thanks

A buddy is in the Guard (having previously been in the Army) and the info in the OP is what he's been advised of.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

5. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

vacuum (24th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

Never shot a creedmor, but if its anything like 6.5x55 swedish.

That was the best cartridge/projectile I ever had the pleasure of firing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Horn For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (24th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Understand the whys , mostly because of weight = more bang for the buck. Being hit by a 7.62 NATO (.308) is no laughing matter. But I can understand if the ballistic sorta reasons, (still boils down to weight + bang) = general firepower. One holy grail has been range and accuracy (depending on the very least the barrel finish and temper. + a tad other issues . (shoot match and u will understand, grin)

.308 ballistically is a great round, sorta a multi tool as ammo goes, except its weight. Have taken many many 30-06 brass and turned them by swagging them down to .308, then cut the neck to length, because ballistically the end result is near the same performance range wise if not flatter trajectory.

Still boils down to weight along with newer powders but unless higher velocity's are achieved grain for grain, less weight = less energy delivered down rang and less punch and terminal foot pounds muzzle energy, depending on the ballistic coefficient + speed. = range and end terminal energy delivered to the ones u want to kill.

Why in the fuck we still keep the .50 cal around? (10,000 to 15,000 foot pounds given to that loving pill sent to they that u want to say I love u) Lmfao.. (because that sob is amazing and also amazing range)

Bang for the buck + weight , same reason why the 30-06 was dumped in modern times..

Prove me wrong....... wish I was still shooting and could get my hands on that newer round, and afford proper barrel, actions shit for example a rifle that can handle a 30-06 can handle a .308 if the action is adapted for the shorter round.. fact. just change the barrel.

(old wildcatter, little old me, back when I could afford it) Still love the now old 7mm-08 , before Remington before it got the Remington last name. I was shooting that round in the very early 80's reforming 30-06 brass and trimming brass to make those sobs, still have my old die's (heavy hitting + accurate round) But shorter and tad less powder needed.

I could go on...

Have a fine day guys....

Me... The Dog with dander.....lmfao...

5.56 is a good round also, was developed for the same reason, more bang for the weight which doomed even the 7.62 for ground pounders..

For the real shooter, spotters in computation looking over the shooters shoulders, depending on the atmosphere and humidity, can see the flight path of the bullet as it goes down range. .....Fucking fact .. Like wise, if the light is right and angle, U can be off the side will be able to see the flight of that tiny lead pill, Amazing. I have had spotters before the dam round hit the target tell me I missed and give a clue ether high or low... U can see the air being torn apart with a black dot in the center, (not the real bullet, two fucking small to see at the ranges I used to shoot, but still sometimes sumthing can be seen) Think heat waves in hot weather......In my computation I had to read those waves to judge where to hold to hit the dam target..

Self to self, shut up Charles,

Again have fun guys..

I know nothing..
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dogman For This Useful Post:

SilverTop (24th July 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Horn View Post
    Never shot a creedmor, but if its anything like 6.5x55 swedish.

That was the best cartridge/projectile I ever had the pleasure of firing.
    The Swiss figured it out, 6.5 is the sweet spot.

Thanks

Thanks for the memory's old Dog!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser

The one that started it all. The 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser is nearly 125 years old and is still going strong. Known for its low recoil and pinpoint accuracy, this round has really been able to stand out in competitive shooting and on mid-sized hunting trips.
    Swedish Mausers on a clipEven in today’s terms, the Swedish Mauser is more than a functional cartridge – it’s downright lethal. It’s been featured in a variety of hunting rifles, including the Remington 700 and the Winchester Model 70, and has been a favorite for deer, elk, reindeer, and moose hunts.
    6.5mm Grendel

The 6.5mm Grendel is an AR-15 round that’s been around for almost 15 years now. It’s designed with the intention of being more accurate than its .223 counterpart, while also being able to boost power without adding any real recoil.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/6-5-mm-ammo-breakdown/

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Horn For This Useful Post:

Dogman (24th July 2018),latemetal1 (24th July 2018),midnight rambler (24th July 2018)

Thanks

No thank u...

Be well

Thanks

sum of the hottest round were in the 6 range, but bore erosion was huge, mostly in the throat along with other issues

Think 22-250 or ..

Same hot rounds that do amazing things but barrels have huge short lifetimes, back in the day. Flat shooting amazing range, but due to the barrels short unless replaced life time overall. I still own a die or two of variants of that caliber. Never had a good answer, that really satisfied my want to know

Throat erosion was common back in the day. then accuracy went to holy hell...Lmfao..

I know nothing, Love being an idiot here..Considering the lesser idiots here slinging shit...

I might have a clue...

Attachment 9894

Peace !

Hint: the .308 is the same dam case other than minor lengths and caliber of 7mm-08 take that and

smoke those facts, parent case is the 30-06.

Rifles chambered 30-06 can shoot both rounds, in a pinch, tho highly not recommended at all,

Truly.... I seen actions blowing up, worse case.