Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: oil peakers deader than dead as US production soars

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

Re: oil peakers deader than dead as US production soars

Quote Originally Posted by Neuro View Post
    One thing different is that the current obsession with safety has made vehicles heavier on average, thus needing more horsepower to perform equally.
    Yeah, some jew insurance plan was ultimately responsible for placing pricing and fees on everyone's mamalookabooboos! life too.

Everyone is so sure that a heavier moving object is always that much safer... for anyone struck by them.

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,265 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neuro View Post
    One thing different is that the current obsession with safety has made vehicles heavier on average, thus needing more horsepower to perform equally.
    Construction sites are insane anymore. Safety, safety, safety. Hard hat, boots, high vis vest, glasses; even while bent over working in a gym. They will actually come unglued and kick you off the job if you don't have all these things. It is ok to drop bombs on innocent families in far away lands though. Glyphosate and flouride are approved also.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

Neuro (29th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,335 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    "oil is the brightest of bright spots for america http://gold-silver.us/forum/images/s...00%20(206).gifoil is the brightest of bright spots for america http://gold-silver.us/forum/images/s...00%20(206).gif"

If our short lived energy independence is linked to shale then maybe we should be drilling the real stuff which they have obviously set aside for themselves. Gull Island?
    During the “gasoline shortage” of the early ‘70s I heard rumors the gov’t forced many oil wells in Colorado to be shutdown and capped. I have never been able to verify if that was true.
    The only thing declared necessary in the Constitution & Bill of Rights is the #2A Militia of the several States.
    “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a freeState”
    https://ConstitutionalMilitia.org

5. The Following User Says Thank You to monty For This Useful Post:

woodman (30th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,335 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheka. View Post
    my gf in the 80's had a Honda crx -- it got around 50 mpg highway -- 44 mpg city
    I have a 2014 BMW 328d xDrive diesel that gets 45 - 46 mpg. On the last fillup a little over 600 miles on 14.? gallons, the average was 42.66 mpg. It actually beats the EPA numbers. It is fairly snappy for a 2.0 liter (120 cid) engine.

https://s19.postimg.cc/l2ckt591v/5_F...549_E24_C8.jpg

Specifications

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

PRICE AS TESTED: $48,525 (base price: $41,525)

ENGINE TYPE: turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve diesel inline-4, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection

DISPLACEMENT: 122 cu in, 1995 cc
    POWER: 181 hp @ 4000 rpm
    TORQUE: 280 lb-ft @ 1750 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 8-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
    WHEELBASE: 110.6 in
    LENGTH: 182.2 in
    WIDTH: 71.3 in HEIGHT: 56.5 in
    CURB WEIGHT: 3660 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
    Zero to 60 mph: 7.2 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 21.2 sec
    Zero to 120 mph: 35.7 sec
    Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 8.0 sec
    Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.7 sec
    Top gear, 50-70 mph: 5.1 sec
    Standing ¼-mile: 15.5 sec @ 88 mph
    Top speed (drag limited): 136 mph
    Braking, 70-0 mph: 158 ft
    Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.88 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
    EPA city/highway driving: 31/43 mpg
    C/D observed: 35 mpg
    The only thing declared necessary in the Constitution & Bill of Rights is the #2A Militia of the several States.
    “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a freeState”
    https://ConstitutionalMilitia.org

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I have a 2014 BMW 328d xDrive diesel that gets 45 - 46 mpg. On the last fillup a little over 600 miles on 14.? gallons, the average was 42.66 mpg. It actually beats the EPA numbers. It is fairly snappy for a 2.0 liter (120 cid) engine.

https://s19.postimg.cc/l2ckt591v/5_F...549_E24_C8.jpg

Specifications

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

PRICE AS TESTED: $48,525 (base price: $41,525)

ENGINE TYPE: turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve diesel inline-4, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection

DISPLACEMENT: 122 cu in, 1995 cc
    POWER: 181 hp @ 4000 rpm
    TORQUE: 280 lb-ft @ 1750 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 8-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
    WHEELBASE: 110.6 in
    LENGTH: 182.2 in
    WIDTH: 71.3 in HEIGHT: 56.5 in
    CURB WEIGHT: 3660 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
    Zero to 60 mph: 7.2 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 21.2 sec
    Zero to 120 mph: 35.7 sec
    Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 8.0 sec
    Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.7 sec
    Top gear, 50-70 mph: 5.1 sec
    Standing ¼-mile: 15.5 sec @ 88 mph
    Top speed (drag limited): 136 mph
    Braking, 70-0 mph: 158 ft
    Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.88 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
    EPA city/highway driving: 31/43 mpg
    C/D observed: 35 mpg
    Diesels are very good, very good torque at low rpm’s which mean you have the horsepower’s where they matter most. Further because less heat is generated you’ll have about 30% less fuel consumption, only draw back is that it takes longer to get a warm car in the winter. I have a Jaguar x-type 2.4 liter diesel engine, 2007 model 155 HP, it has similar fuel economy to yours...
    Cultural Marxism: -The idea that good, hard working, white people should pay for those who are not, and thus in the name of equality create the conditions for their own genetic annihilation

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neuro For This Useful Post:

monty (30th July 2018)

Thanks

Idk, for all the subsidy/bailouts cheap labor and bank payments car manufacturers receive,

I'd think there'd be some super efficient quality available at a reasonable price, everything I see looks disposable within 5 years at most.

Buddy here purchased a 4 year old Renault to do Uber taxi for extra dough, thing was run into the ground after 3 months, needed clutch and new suspension.

Many autos appear made to just look nice while sitting in traffic or only go to the grocery store and back.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horn View Post
    Idk, for all the subsidy/bailouts cheap labor and bank payments car manufacturers receive,

I'd think there'd be some super efficient quality available at a reasonable price, everything I see looks disposable within 5 years at most.

Buddy here purchased a 4 year old Renault to do Uber taxi for extra dough, thing was run into the ground after 3 months, needed clutch and new suspension.

Many autos appear made to just look nice while sitting in traffic or only go to the grocery store and back.
    Truth, but physics does come to play, Btu energy available, into real work...Friction is huge, and an energy sapper. Heat is always part of combustion, = search for the most efficient way to = usable power, Long stroke = torque, short stroke = power, the question is how to get max torque which actually does the work, there is a relationship of torque vs horsepower, Thing about torque is size of the source vs weight, = more torque heaver engine.

Still remember when an engine could deliver 2 hp per cubic inch, high revving but low on over all torque, gearing comes to mind, but then the weight of that gearing along with the bulk,

Friction is an enemy along with waste heat, because the search of compleat combustion is still ongoing with out loss to heat generated along with fiction in the over all engine + drive train, forget loss in tire friction where rubber meets the road, then it comes to air friction...

lmfao..

Yes I agree sum things are repressed big energy hate anything the challenges what they do and their power.

Friction+waste heat are the open question, ceramic engines hold hope, because they can run at higher temps than metal,

Open question , but nothing = solved yet.

Higher temp more compleat total combustion

Heat recovery to power,

lost heat is wasted for power production in so many ways.
    List goes on..

Dam near forgot!

Centrifugal the faster things rev, which can be an answer for torque, is the materials the engine is made of, = fatigue, bearings,connecting rods, rotors and such, dam near anything moving at higher revs more stress introduced = shorter material lifetime. If it spins or reciprocates there will be an rpm it will fly apart sooner or or later.

"My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Thanks

Yes, Dogman and all those were much better mixed in 1996.

I agree mostly with Woodman's post here, autos nowaday are dogs for the most part,

I think they're rigid smooth for approximately 10 months after assembly, then turn into bubblegum. (maybe it is the safety /crumple zone impact design)

Granted I'm not privy to Lexus or jaguar, but cant imagine they'd be anymore advanced since then.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horn View Post
    Yes, Dogman and all those were much better mixed in 1996.

I agree mostly with Woodman's post here, autos nowaday are dogs for the most part,

I think they're rigid smooth for approximately 10 months after assembly, then turn into bubblegum. (maybe it is the safety /crumple zone impact design)

Granted I'm not privy to Lexus or jaguar, but cant imagine they'd be anymore advanced since then.
    Depends on the build and material used. Sum are still produced for longest overall comfort, but most now are produced with a limited lifetime, maybe not the overall drive train, but for dam sure the cockpit, and sensors overall.

Seems between 10 or so years thing or even earlier, things start falling apart, or cracking due to the plastic used now.

Which is why replacement parts are a booming business.

Attachment 9902

Never ever forget the electronics ..

Later friend, time for a snack and nap, seem to do a bunch of that these days.... (days of solid sleep are just history)
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Thanks

Fuggin drivetrain's are so advanced they've looped all the way back in evolution to being a fungus/mushroom.

I did drive an early 2000 model Jaguar once and also a 90's Lexus,

The jaguar was closing in on being a mushroom at that time (if the accelerator were pressed at any length "the lion under the hood" became like a circus tiger, while the 90's Lexus model was tight and smooth like a glass rocket.

Unfortunately, with either once anything went amiss there was no getting it back to its original or better running condition,

They were like owning a Rolex that does not keep time.