Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a travel trailer a stupid idea for TSHTF scenario?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

Re: Is a travel trailer a stupid idea for TSHTF scenario?

barring any last min unforeseen, I expect to put a deposit on a 35' 5" Class A today

'07 Dolphin by National RV with only 9K miles, for just under $40K. Looks great, body/paint, carpet etc, didn't see any flaws

Orig $137K, LOW nadaguides retail est for this rig with full body paint option is $41K, AVERAGE is $49.4K

Ford's 6.8L Triton V10 gasoline
    two opposing sliders, 1 does sofa/dinette, other does queen bed + wardrobe
    7 KW Onan gen
    'basement' aircon (no unit on the roof), so height 11' 9", width 8.5'
    GVWR 22K#, GCWR 26K#
    hydrolic leveling jacks
    brochure http://cmrvs.com/07dolphin/brochure.pdf

10 min vid tour, pub'd by a dealer back in 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO7jDK1etaQ

weird thing about the class C's vs A's; despite the massive weight diff (near double) of the A's vs C's of same length, is the A's pull about the same mileage! I'm told it's something about how they manage the torque... I could imagine once up to highway speed, with the momentum thing, it takes about same to very little more energy to maintain that speed... something like that.

& from the driver/(passenger) perspective, sooo much higher visibility & more space in the A's vs C's.

So GSUS brain trust, it's time to throw me ur "last min unforeseens" now b4 I get in there again today to lay deposit, or forever hold ur peace.
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PatColo View Post
    So GSUS brain trust, it's time to throw me ur "last min unforeseens" now b4 I get in there again today to lay deposit, or forever hold ur peace.
    One final photo to register my discouragement.

I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

PatColo (10th December 2019)

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Pat, pay no attention to Book as he has zero experience in this field.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

5. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

Thanks

^ tough to even make out what happened there?! other than, some kind of driving accident. Yes those do happen on the roadways... drive safely, everyone! & part of that means staying the F away from RVs whilst ur driving; there's NO size/weight/class RV threshold which triggers a state requirement for any extra license class, training, testing, physical etc. Got ur valid class C driver's license? ur good to hop in & drive off... even BOOK!

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatColo View Post
    ^ tough to even make out what happened there?! other than, some kind of driving accident.
    Pat, that was the result of one of those infamous LA police chases, it was a stolen RV...why else would the driver keep going after that much damage??
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

8. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    Pat, pay no attention to Book as he has zero experience in this field.
    I actually lived in a vehicle for two years in Northern California but that was decades ago when a White Man wasn't surrounded by crazy druggies and resentful brown people like PatColo is today in 2019.

Exactly WHERE are you gonna park this thing Pat?

I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jewboo View Post
    Exactly WHERE are you gonna park this thing Pat?

was gonna put it in ur driveway in boise... U can accommodate?

in the shorter term, need to find some kinda M.home park while I get some other projects taken care of. There's also a whole "boondocking" RV scene; name I hear come up most often is, WalMart parking lots; but gather these are one night sleepers, not ongoing residents or they'd get hassle.

So, yes, RV park... I'd go straight for a 55yo+ park but I'm 52 so... have to find an all ages place with plenty of nice Mexican fam's.

Thanks

barring any last min unforeseen, I expect to put a deposit on a 35' 5" Class A today
    the (deposit) deed is done... long live my pending RV lifestyle! OR if this ends up being my worstest nightmare, then may it be short lived!!

little * re length: above is "overall length" as in bumper-to-bumper (or maybe also includes the ladder which is furthest back point??); but for official "max length" purposes this rig counts as 34', which supposedly measures living space.

At this point, they're gonna replace all 6 premium OEM Michelin tires, purely due to age... no cost to me. Still confounding coz they appear good; 9K tread wear, not cracking/etc; but he tells me it's just an age thing -- manufacture date '06/07, with time since then nearly always parked with the rig's weight on them.

Says he can even tell from condition of paint job that it's been garaged IE out of the sun, sun which also works it's magic on tires, which again, don't appear to show having sat in the sun all those years.

But he was frank: they'll be replaced with "lesser" tires than these orig Michelins, naming Toyo & some other name I forgot as probable replacements. Said Michelins would cost them around $1500 more...

So any thoughts on this sitch? IE the age/weight thing alone is such that it's worth replacing all 6 premium Michelins, with all new but lower quality Toyos/whatever?

And if they should indeed all be replaced for this reason... would it be worth it to propose I pay the extra $$ to 'upgrade' to Michelins? Are Michelins that much more worth it??

Thanks

Six years is the max age for tires. After six years tires are subject to separating and a separation above 45 MPH can cost more in body damage than a new set of tires. Even if zero miles showing nominal wear six years is the absolute max.

No need for the premium tires however I would research the brand they are wanting to install. Toyo tires ok for your purposes. Would suggest buying tire covers for when parked. Also some people park on pieces of treated pine 2x lumber to get their tires off the ground.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

monty (10th December 2019),PatColo (10th December 2019),vacuum (11th December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 1,979 Posts

If you get down in Tennessee Pat don't camp in the Land Between the Lakes or if you do be sure and don't camp in the north end.

I've got a friend that comes hunting on my ranch from Tennessee and he says there's "boogers" in the woods there.

We are all travelers through this world
    Birth till Death
    We travel between the Eternities. Robert Duval as Print Ritter "The Broken Trail"

I believe the DSCI christians know and speak the truth
    https://christogenea.org

The old coyote senses danger and sinks into the grass.
    He cannot be seen but he watches and waits. Author unknown

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (11th December 2019),PatColo (11th December 2019)