Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Encryption/Computer Security Thread!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts
    if they write it they can also break into it . are am i missing some thing here
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

DMac
    What are you looking to do - Encrypt specific files? The whole computer? Email?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,816 Times in 4,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mick silver View Post
    if they write it they can also break into it . are am i missing some thing here
    Not true, The key to encryption is it's ability to randomize its keys. Even if you program in thousands of keys you'll never know which one was used in the cypher.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts
    hey i need some help settin up my linksys router so no one can get on it and use it ... how do you set it up . i know were talking about some thing else but what the hell thanks mick
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mick silver View Post
    hey i need some help settin up my linksys router so no one can get on it and use it ... how do you set it up . i know were talking about some thing else but what the hell thanks mick
    Depends on the model. I have a Linksys E3000 series router, and I am currently using WPA2/AES for the encryption. Which as it stands now hasn't been cracked. TKIP has known security flaws. But even utilizing WPA will make it more trouble than it's worth to attempt to break in. If you tell me what model you have I'll find you some step by step instructions in locking it down, if need be I'll write out the steps.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

Rebel Without a Clue sirgonzo420's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 665 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I use an OLD version of PGP to encrypt files and folders with a 4096-bit DH/DSS cypher.

I've also used TruCrypt to create an encrypted container to dump files and folders into it. Could also use TruCrypt to encrypt the entire hard drive if you'd like. The only draw back is if your hard drive or partition table ever takes a shit, you'll most likely never get any data back.
    Is there a way to create a 4096-bit or higher GPG key using windows? The software I'm currently using for windows will only allow 2048 or 3072-bit max (at least with the GUI... I haven't really messed with the CLI for GPG).

VERITAS LVX MEA ET VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS.
    All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.
    Send me encrypted msg/mail with PGP! ---> http://tiny.cc/dpr6ew

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgonzo420 View Post
    Is there a way to create a 4096-bit or higher GPG key using windows? The software I'm currently using for windows will only allow 2048 or 3072-bit max (at least with the GUI... I haven't really messed with the CLI for GPG).
    Yep, PGP will allow you to create a 4096-Bit key. At least the version I am currently using. If you still have the login information I gave you I'll put it on my FTP server and you can download it. It's a little buggy installing on Windows 7, but Windows XP on down it works flawlessly.

Thanks
    I was thinking of posting a thread asking who wanted to trade off gpg/pgp public keys. Look at the Linux Security Cookbook for some good basic info. I only use GPG for file encryption and dm_crypt for disk encryption.
    Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum - I think that I think, therefore I think that I am

My GPG Pub key:
    http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=steyr_m&op=index&fingerprint=on

Rebel Without a Clue sirgonzo420's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 665 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Yep, PGP will allow you to create a 4096-Bit key. At least the version I am currently using. If you still have the login information I gave you I'll put it on my FTP server and you can download it. It's a little buggy installing on Windows 7, but Windows XP on down it works flawlessly.
    That would be great! GPG4Win doesn't seem to be cuttin' it for me.

VERITAS LVX MEA ET VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS.
    All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.
    Send me encrypted msg/mail with PGP! ---> http://tiny.cc/dpr6ew

Thanks
    Anyone who wants the PGP version I have for windows can find it here.

Sorry URL isn't working. If you have an FTP client here is the login information.

Site: digitalchaos.no-ip.info

Username: sirgonzo420

password: gold.silver

Port: 21