Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harry Dent vs Mike Maloney on the price of gold

Electrum
    Thanks

Harry Dent vs Mike Maloney on the price of gold

I just listened to a long advertisement in which economist and prognosticator Harry S. Dent predicted that gold bullion is in a bubble that will burst soon and may fall down to $250.

Compare that to Mike Maloney who created the Hidden Secrets of Money videos, who says gold is being manipulated low right now but will break free and soar to $5000 and continue higher as the dollar collapses.

The interesting thing about these two is that they both claim they are analyzing natural cycles.

I usually enjoy this kind of scenario--two respected men study the cycles and come up with opposite conclusions. But for this one, the stakes are so high that I find it more nerve-wracking than fun.

Is anyone willing to cast education-inspired mud on either contestant?
    -----------------------

Oops! I had Maloney's URL wrong. It's HiddenSecretsOfMoney.com, not of wealth. Excellent informational videos.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,437 Times in 2,790 Posts

Re: Harry Dent vs Mike Maloney on the price of gold

The Cabal...........“Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the King’s horses and all the King’s men couldn’t put Humpty back together again”.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpo For This Useful Post:

agnut (1st September 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Cool Re: Harry Dent vs Mike Maloney on the price of gold

Quote Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
    I just listened to a long advertisement in which economist and prognosticator Harry S. Dent predicted that gold bullion is in a bubble that will burst soon and may fall down to $250.

Dent is saying that gold will fall to a price that is far below the cost of production for every gold miner on earth.

He's welcome to say that, as long as I don't have to expend time listening.

The other guy (Maloney?) is trying to model something that is very difficult to model.

We don't know how markets behave when we can't even get information about the activity of the largest market participant, the US gov. and the corporations that do their bidding to implement the 'Strong Dollar Policy'.

It's obviously predictable that predictable & inevitable shortages would drive the price higher.

The discussion of 'how high' has to take into account manipulation. Which is basically conducted as a covert operation. They don't share all their detailed meeting notes.

So you're modelling something that is partially hidden.

Jim Rickards does a good job of currency modelling and also has an insider's perspective. (Very high level security clearance, etc.)

He has one exercise that is archived at King World News where he maps $ reserves and gold reserves and comes up with $8000 to $15000, that range.

However, he bases that work on official US gold reserve numbers. Which most of the members here suspect/ know to be false.

The desire to exit dollars has already started.

All the time, we hear sort-of-newscasts about the "hunt for a world reserve currency" - that don't mention gold, or silver. that seems wierd.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gunDriller For This Useful Post:

agnut (1st September 2014),hoarder (30th August 2014),woodman (31st August 2014)

Electrum
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gunDriller View Post
    Dent is saying that gold will fall to a price that is far below the cost of production for every gold miner on earth.
    That alone is no refutation. If enough people wanted to get rid of their gold, the price would drop below the price of production because there would be no need to produce more to fill all demand. I guess that's what Dent is predicting.

Up until I heard his ad, I thought everyone was in agreement. James Rickards, Mike Maloney, James Turk, John Rubino, Michael MacDonald, Christopher Whitestone, Eric Sprott and Rick Rule, as far as I know, are in general agreement that there's going to be a currency crisis soon which will cause a rush of people trying to transfer some wealth into precious metals. This will drive demand way above supply and the price will go up.

So I was surprised to hear someone with a different view. And he appears not to be just a bum on the street--apparently a lot of people pay to read what he thinks. And you cannot deny that he's right that the shape of the curve of the price of gold looks parabolic up until 2011, just like the many other bubble curves he showed. (Even though he failed to explain how this bubble fell a little and leveled off while all the others suddenly plummeted.)

His certainly seems to be the more positive view--that we're not headed for a life-altering world crisis, but just a worse-than-average downturn in the normal cycle. But if that were true, it seems likely that more than one gifted economist would figure it out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KenJackson For This Useful Post:

agnut (1st September 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

The price of paper gold depends on the supply of paper gold. What are the limits to the supply of paper gold?

In reality, predictions must take into account all factors that may hasten or slow the inevitable divergence.

Thanks

The rush out of gold (mostly paper) will be precipitated by the collapse of credit as currency and the necessity to cover debt. The price of gold will plummet.
    The only ones who benefit from the conflation of money and credit are the issuers of credit with no money.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Carl For This Useful Post:

kiffertom (1st September 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    The rush out of gold (mostly paper) will be precipitated by the collapse of credit as currency and the necessity to cover debt. The price of gold will plummet.
    You keep talking about this collapse of credit, but I have not heard any reason for it to collapse. The cop in charge is the bankers and they don't seem to care much about standards in accounting. The Fed has an unlimited checkbook and buys the bankers instruments at the marked up value they put on them.

What will force the Fed to sell on the market?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Question Re: Harry Dent vs Mike Maloney on the price of gold

i think we are trying to imagine things that may be difficult to visualize, partially related to lack of information.

it's like trying to do a GIS model of planet earth, but not being allowed to see the plat maps in some areas because of "national security".

i think one of the guides for precious metal valuations is, what they would buy in the past, when silver and gold were widely used currencies.

i think one of the yard-sticks for an ounce of gold is, a really good men's suit.

so, if we take Jim Rickards' $8000/ $15,000 estimate ($11,500), i wonder - is that how much a good men's suit will cost, if gold goes to $11,500 ?
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gunDriller For This Useful Post:

Hitch (31st August 2014)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

i think one of the yard-sticks for an ounce of gold is, a really good men's suit.

so, if we take Jim Rickards' $8000/ $15,000 estimate ($11,500), i wonder - is that how much a good men's suit will cost, if gold goes to $11,500 ?

Good question. I recall a professor during college teaching this very same thing many years ago. He said, historically, one ounce of gold will buy a man a nice suit. He advocated always having an ounce ready, so if you find yourself unemployed, you can buy a suit and go out and get a job.

Electrum
    Thanks

we won't be wearing good men's suits. we'll all be in body armor.