Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foodsaver

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Foodsaver

I've been spending this lazy overcast dreary day indoors, using my foodsaver to vacuum seal some preps. I'm not sure if this product has been discussed, so thought I'd post a review.

I have the small lesser expensive one, the V2244 model.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I paid $60 I believe on Amazon and it came with a decent amount of bags to start with.

For rice and beans, it sucks all the air out making the bag as hard as a rock. I've also been adding a silica pack to each bag.

There was a learning curve to get this product to work reliably however. After reading the manual, I learned not to follow the advise with the bags. The manual says the rough edge of the bag down. It works better with the rough edge up.

The downside is the bags themselves are very expensive. $30 for two rolls. Also, the bags are a little fragile. One tiny rip and you lose your vacuum, so when vacuum sealing rice, for example, you need to put the rice in a separate bag to protect the foodsaver bag.
    life is good.

Thanks

Re: Foodsaver

I use one to vacuum seal steaks. They keep much longer in the freezer after sealing.
    “A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. ” Heinlein, Robert

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NOOB View Post
    I use one to vacuum seal steaks. They keep much longer in the freezer after sealing.
    I plan on vacuum sealing steaks as well. Do you freeze the steak first, then seal? Or seal fresh, then freeze?
    life is good.

Thanks

seal first is how i do it
    “A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. ” Heinlein, Robert

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NOOB For This Useful Post:

Hitch (2nd August 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    The downside is the bags themselves are very expensive. $30 for two rolls.
    that is some major profit. the consumers are being ripped off.

2 points for anyone who can find a suitable replacement.

the first step is finding out what kind of plastic film they are using.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

Electrum
    Thanks

plastic films are ALL BAD. the greatest source of feminizing and emasculating males, let alone reducing sperm count is plastics contacting our food, fresh or frozen. the most common source of this estrogen is the very potent horse estrogen. this estrogen is part of each formulae used in the creation of all plastics touching our food. invest in old fashioned butcher paper like we all had back in the 50s and live better, keep your wood, and keep it up. longer.

Thanks

I wore my Food saver out in less than a year. I had to buy a commercial vacuum sealer. I do most of my dry pack in Canning Jars.
    To control the opposition, one must start the opposition. Joseph Stalin
    My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me."
    My people have perished for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being priest for Me. Since you have forgotten the Torah of your Elohim, I also forget your children.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ImaCannin For This Useful Post:

gunDriller (3rd August 2013)

Zinc
    Thanks

I also frequently utilize jar sealer attachment for some of our home-dried dehydrated foods which we pack into canning jars. The vacuum sealer I bought at Crazysales (through an external tube additionally, the lid attachment) sucks out your air within the jar while using the a standard canning jar lid. To look at the jar, I gently pry one fringe of the lid (making use of a blunt object enjoy the side of a butter knife) forcefully enough until you hear the whooshing sound for the vacuum seal being released. It could take some force because vacuum sealer really does a good job taking off the air. The lids might be reused indefinitely (for this function) until you bend or damage the rubber gasket beyond the power to re-seal.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,806 Times in 4,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrim View Post
    I also frequently utilize jar sealer attachment for some of our home-dried dehydrated foods which we pack into canning jars. The vacuum sealer I bought at [scam link removed] (through an external tube additionally, the lid attachment) sucks out your air within the jar while using the a standard canning jar lid. To look at the jar, I gently pry one fringe of the lid (making use of a blunt object enjoy the side of a butter knife) forcefully enough until you hear the whooshing sound for the vacuum seal being released. It could take some force because vacuum sealer really does a good job taking off the air. The lids might be reused indefinitely (for this function) until you bend or damage the rubber gasket beyond the power to re-seal.
    Smells like SPAM to me...
    The night has come upon us, and we have but two choices: to fear it, or to face it bravely while looking to the Light that cannot be overcome. John 8:12

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crimethink For This Useful Post:

Camp Bassfish (29th November 2016),monty (29th November 2016)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

How to make smaller bags from bigger ones. I haven't tried this yet but will give it a go soon.

I use mine semi-regularly and often the items are much smaller than the bag leaving me with 2/3 to 3/4 wastage. I often have items I will seal after opening and using a portion, then seal and use some more later. Hops is one such thing. So I seal at the top, cut the top off to open then reuse the bag and seal again.

But it would be good to be able to make smaller bags. I found a source of bags across country so I picked up a box full. I think 1000 pieces. 10" x 14". I still have more than half. I haven't bagged much food in a while. I did have some seal failures and was not paying attention so lost some bread mix and plain flour.

They are textured on one side. I think you are supposed to use these one side up in the saver but I don't which so I figure the failures were due to that.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.