Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DOD ditching 7.62 NATO (.308) and 5.56 NATO (.223) and going to...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,331 Times in 5,107 Posts

Re: DOD ditching 7.62 NATO (.308) and 5.56 NATO (.223) and going to...

I had a Winchester Mod. 70 Featherweight that on occassion I fired the 7.62 NATO cartridge. But they are not exactly the same dimensions and it is dangerous to fire the .308 Win in a 7.62 NATO rifle.

http://www.differencebetween.net/obj...08-winchester/

Difference Between 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester

7.62 NATO vs .308 Winchester
    The 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester rounds are very close to identical with each that many people think that they can be used interchangeably. The main difference between the 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester rounds is with which rifles you can use them. If you have a modern rifle that shoots .308 Winchester rounds, then it is very likely that you can shoot 7.62 NATO rounds. If you have an old rifle meant to shoot 7.62 NATO rounds, then you should never use .308 Winchester rounds.

The reason why you should never use .308 Winchester rounds in a rifle meant to fire 7.62 NATO rounds is the size of the chamber. The rounds of a .308 Winchester will be too loose inside a 7.62 NATO, This can have terrible results when you fire the round. As the powder detonates, the shell might stretch too much, causing it to rupture and explode. A round exploding in the chamber is a bad situation by all accounts and you will probably ruin your rifle as well as injure yourself. The 7.62 NATO rifles were meant to take military spec bullets that have much thicker shells. Not only does the thicker material make the shell stronger, it also reduces the space inside for the powder.

But if you turn the tables and put a 7.62 NATO round in a .308 Winchester rifle, you should have no problem except for a minor hitch when it comes to the length. Some 7.62 NATO rounds may not fit into the .308 Winchester chamber simply because it is too long. This happens very rarely and many people have used 7.62 NATO rounds for years and have not encountered this problem. This is probably a problem with older rounds and rifles.

If you have a .308 Winchester rifle, you can use either of the two rounds just as both are perfectly usable. But if you own a 7.62 NATO rifle, it is much better if you just stick with the 7.62 NATO rounds. There’s no reason to compromise safety by using the .308 Winchester rounds.

Summary:

1. You can shoot 7.62 NATO cartridges in a .308 Winchester rifle but not the other way around
    2. 7.62 NATO rifles may have too much headspace for .308 Winchester rounds
    3. Some 7.62 NATO rounds may be too long to fit in a .308 Winchester rifle
    The only thing declared necessary in the Constitution & Bill of Rights is the #2A Militia of the several States.
    “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a freeState”
    https://ConstitutionalMilitia.org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I had a Winchester Mod. 70 Featherweight that on occassion I fired the 7.62 NATO cartridge. But they are not exactly the same dimensions and it is dangerous to fire the .308 Win in a 7.62 NATO rifle.

http://www.differencebetween.net/obj...08-winchester/

Difference Between 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester

7.62 NATO vs .308 Winchester
    The 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester rounds are very close to identical with each that many people think that they can be used interchangeably. The main difference between the 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester rounds is with which rifles you can use them. If you have a modern rifle that shoots .308 Winchester rounds, then it is very likely that you can shoot 7.62 NATO rounds. If you have an old rifle meant to shoot 7.62 NATO rounds, then you should never use .308 Winchester rounds.

The reason why you should never use .308 Winchester rounds in a rifle meant to fire 7.62 NATO rounds is the size of the chamber. The rounds of a .308 Winchester will be too loose inside a 7.62 NATO, This can have terrible results when you fire the round. As the powder detonates, the shell might stretch too much, causing it to rupture and explode. A round exploding in the chamber is a bad situation by all accounts and you will probably ruin your rifle as well as injure yourself. The 7.62 NATO rifles were meant to take military spec bullets that have much thicker shells. Not only does the thicker material make the shell stronger, it also reduces the space inside for the powder.

But if you turn the tables and put a 7.62 NATO round in a .308 Winchester rifle, you should have no problem except for a minor hitch when it comes to the length. Some 7.62 NATO rounds may not fit into the .308 Winchester chamber simply because it is too long. This happens very rarely and many people have used 7.62 NATO rounds for years and have not encountered this problem. This is probably a problem with older rounds and rifles.

If you have a .308 Winchester rifle, you can use either of the two rounds just as both are perfectly usable. But if you own a 7.62 NATO rifle, it is much better if you just stick with the 7.62 NATO rounds. There’s no reason to compromise safety by using the .308 Winchester rounds.

Summary:

1. You can shoot 7.62 NATO cartridges in a .308 Winchester rifle but not the other way around
    2. 7.62 NATO rifles may have too much headspace for .308 Winchester rounds
    3. Some 7.62 NATO rounds may be too long to fit in a .308 Winchester rifle
    Had to log in again just for ur post, very long day... once I saw ur post u older than me , but not much overall .

Yes there is a diff, but minor , for peak performance no, but safe to fire, yes.The chamber and round need to perfically (sp) match.
    , ,

Tho due to a thing called fire forming , once fired in the larger chamber,, the brass will need to be reformed for another gun, to match the chamber of that gun , which normal dies will handle. the secret for accurate shooting is have a chamber and round that tightly fits, but not so tightly that the case cannot be extracted. (despite the barrel)

Note: due to tooling chambers change from gun to gun, no chamber is the same, overall. for true performance as the best the particular gun is capable of doing , the ammo should be tuned to that gun. Fact!

Along with the action and very importance the barrel. But who am I , ?

rare thing, in the gun will hold , off the production line, but again rare thing is to do sub MOA bug holes , true fact here...Hoot. \\ hell i am tired, normal total sleep total 4 hours in 24 if very lucky... Night guys. good ones and the shitholes here..

Shutting down, hoping for rest, (with a wake up)

Nite monty .

Added note:

The 6mm is a great round, flat shooting but unless sump thing changed throat erosion and barrel wear is or was very high. But the same can be said for any hot cal. If the military, make it so barrel changes are quick, and no brainier + the head spacing is correct, great for spray and pray...lmao...
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    No thank u...

Be well
    Dogman's barrel and a bore, worn out.

The recoil alone is enough reason to leave the other calibers in the dirt. who cares if your bore is worn when most military have hard caps well under anyways?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by horn View Post
    dogman's barrel and a bore, worn out.

The recoil alone is enough reason to leave the other calibers in the dirt. Who cares if your bore is worn when most military have hard caps well under anyways?
    ?

Attachment 9895

Thanks
    Thanked 8,331 Times in 5,107 Posts

I posted that for people that may not realize that there is possibilty of headspace problems when firing a .308 Win in a 7.62 NATO rifle. Yes, I used to fireform brass when I was reloading many years ago.

This .308/7.62 NATO discussion reminded me of a time whe we were young boys an old rancher had a Winchester rifle he loaned me to hunt deer with. He said it was a .303 British. The old guy fired a round through it, fire and sparks flew everywhere. When I got the rifle my dad and the ranchhands all looked at it and determined it was a 30-40 Krag.

Moral of the story, don’t be interchanging amunition if you don’t know what the hell you are doing.
    The only thing declared necessary in the Constitution & Bill of Rights is the #2A Militia of the several States.
    “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a freeState”
    https://ConstitutionalMilitia.org

6. The Following User Says Thank You to monty For This Useful Post:

Dogman (25th July 2018)

Thanks

Yup ! to all.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dogman For This Useful Post:

monty (25th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,726 Times in 1,502 Posts

Isn't the army's new stand sniper rifle chambered in .300wm?