Thread: $18 HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

$18 HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester

$18 HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester

Been testing my kitchen sink water several times today with my new toy:

Arrowhead Bottled Spring Water = 202 ppm

My BOISE Kitchen Tap Water = 62 ppm

My Culligan FM-15RA Kitchen Faucet Filter reads the same as my Tap Water.

Important that all test sources be room temp. It appears that my Tap Water is just fine and I have been wasting money on the faucet filter The weird thing is the faucet filter gets reduced flow after every two months requiring regular replacement.

must be the visible rust?
    I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

Re: $18 HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester

This tester is included with the Zero water filter: http://tinyurl.com/y65cymcn $34.99

Filters aren't cheap but produce several dozen or more gallons, depending on tap water quality. Typical output is 0 ppm. Maker recommends changing filter when detecting 3-5 ppm. My filters last a couple of months.

When I tested tap water (~150 ppm IIRC) after filtering through a Brita, the ppm was unchanged!!!
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,001 Posts

tds - total dissolved solids? is that what you are looking for? if so, why?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheka. View Post
    tds - total dissolved solids? is that what you are looking for? if so, why?
    Correct - it's a measure of impurities, especially heavy metals, but also calcium and other common salts.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mamboni View Post
    This tester is included with the Zero water filter: http://tinyurl.com/y65cymcn $34.99

Filters aren't cheap but produce several dozen or more gallons, depending on tap water quality. Typical output is 0 ppm. Maker recommends changing filter when detecting 3-5 ppm. My filters last a couple of months.

When I tested tap water (~150 ppm IIRC) after filtering through a Brita, the ppm was unchanged!!!
    I think your free tester is a cheap knockoff that has the battery soldered onto the motherboard? My genuine TDS EZ HM Digital brand has an easily-replaceable battery.

Your ZeroWater filter does indeed filter out to zero ppm including the healthy valuable minerals. I imagine some kind of trace mineral supplement is required in your diet to replace those lost healthy minerals.

Yeah...both your Brita and my Culligan are a joke.

My BOISE CITY Kitchen Tap Water = 62 ppm is pretty decent unfiltered. From a well. A big relief. My Culligan faucet carbon filter must be getting clogged up every two months by just the rust in the old cast iron 45 year-old water pipes. I can actually see that rust occasionally in a seldom-used bathroom white sink.

we need the healthy minerals in our drinking water.

Source of Most Boise Area Water

In the Boise City area, approximately 70% of your water is supplied from 85 wells located in the area.
    The remaining 30% of your water comes from two surface water treatment plants (Marden Water Treatment Plant and Columbia Water Treatment Plant) which treat water from the Boise River.
    Outlying areas such as Meridian, also rely on municipal wells for the main water supply. Municipal wells tap the groundwater supply from 300 to 800 feet below ground level. Water from these various depths and locations varies in chemical composition and overall quality…

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

As far as the TDS, (total dissolved solids), is there any evidence these are harmful? There is no way to say whether or not the impurities are harmful or beneficial, as this will not tell you if heavy metals are present; nor will it tell you any fluoride content. I will take my mineral laden well water over municipal water any day.

I wonder how useful this would be for analyzing water for beer making. I'll bet Brewtech knows of a tester I could use for my beermaking, as sadly my well water is not conducive to tasty beer. I think ph is quite important to beer style.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

Jewboo (14th April 2019),Neuro (27th July 2019)

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    As far as the TDS, (total dissolved solids), is there any evidence these are harmful?
    Minerals are sometimes beneficial and sometimes harmful. Dissolved minerals are absorbed more easily but for minerals to be really useful to the body they should be plant based. Seems plants impart a charge on the minerals. At least this is what Dr Wallach is promoting.

A company I once worked with kept getting dinged by the city on the TDS of their return effluent. A manager took a sample of their tap water and sent it back to the city as a sample of effluent and the city once again rejected it. Seems they were expecting better numbers coming back than what they were supplying.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ziero0 For This Useful Post:

woodman (26th July 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    As far as the TDS, (total dissolved solids), is there any evidence these are harmful? There is no way to say whether or not the impurities are harmful or beneficial, as this will not tell you if heavy metals are present; nor will it tell you any fluoride content. I will take my mineral laden well water over municipal water any day.

My point exactly. My BOISE CITY tap well water is 62 ppm of presumably healthy minerals. I need those healthy minerals in my diet.

Mamboni filters his tap water to zero ppm eliminating all those healthy trace minerals.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jewboo View Post

My point exactly. My BOISE CITY tap well water is 62 ppm of presumably healthy minerals. I need those healthy minerals in my diet.

Mamboni filters his tap water to zero ppm eliminating all those healthy trace minerals.

I add complete trace minerals back: https://tinyurl.com/yxz8g5cm'

Don't assume TDS in your water are healthy minerals!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mamboni For This Useful Post:

Jewboo (14th April 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mamboni View Post
    I add complete trace minerals back: https://tinyurl.com/yxz8g5cm'

Don't assume TDS in your water are healthy minerals!
    THESE GUYS HAVE NO SCIENCE EDUCATION AND DON'T APPEAR TO EVEN HAVE A LAB?

"Mike holds a B.A. in Consumer Behavior & Globalization"

"Greg holds a B.S. in Business Administration"