Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Anecdotal economic field reports (Now Stickied)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

Re: Anecdotal economic field reports (Now Stickied)

Costa Rica: small construction addition to existing home.

Owner goes to bank for small home improvement loan, bank tells owner they will give loan only after the construction is complete...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MNeagle View Post
    Here's a new one in this area: the gold buyers (who advertise on the radio) are offering a 30-day guarantee. They buy your gold, if the price goes up in 30 days, they'll cover the difference. Now at what % they're buying I have no clue. Anyone else hearing similiar promises?
    They are parasitic bloodsucking scum. They typically offer less than 50% of spot price of the gold content. So if gold goes up 10%, the seller is still getting ass-raped, only with a slightly shorter broomsticks.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

Thanks

I've been noticing alot of "WE BUY GOLD" "shacks" popping up. They are in EVERY strip mall now no matter how small or large ( one just moved into a 3 unit strip in between a tombstone seller and a nail salon) and moved into some abandoned properties. Some pop up then go away after a few months, others have people out on the street dressed as uncle Sam waving signs. Usually it's both. One moved into a larger building.
    Take it easy on me guys, I'm a victim of Holocaust related melancholy.

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

I went into one of the many "AAA Gold Exchange" uhhh... "offices" near where I worked just to get an idea of what they were paying. Once the guy realized I had a clue as to what I was talking about he became quite candid. They make their money dumping scrap gold (or whatever) onto the refiner for a small margin, which means they can't pay anyone anything CLOSE to what their metal is worth. He said he understood that the coin shops pay a lot more for coinage and whatnot, because they keep it in house and resell it. Because he does not have anything on display for sale, he cannot pay squat.

This may or may not be entirely true, but that's what he told me.
    By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,345 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    I've been noticing alot of "WE BUY GOLD" "shacks" popping up. They are in EVERY strip mall now no matter how small or large ( one just moved into a 3 unit strip in between a tombstone seller and a nail salon) and moved into some abandoned properties. Some pop up then go away after a few months, others have people out on the street dressed as uncle Sam waving signs. Usually it's both. One moved into a larger building.
    You may find this interesting.

Iridium
    Thanks

Drive-up ATM @ bank now gives out $50 bills, which is new/odd. Not sure if it's common @ reg/non-bank atms.

I assume these are subject to 'the pen'? Not sure I like the added scrutiny that a 50 brings...
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint - Isaiah 40:31

Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. ~
    Matthew 7:7

geoengineeringwatch.org

Thanks

Here it is almost the end of January and I'm still seeing marked down Christmas items in stores. 70% off and no takers. This is the first time I've seen this.

Also noticed steaks marked down, guess peeps are buying them at full price anymore?
    "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." --Mae West

Yes! My avatar is always a photo from my adventures.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BabushkaLady View Post
    Here it is almost the end of January and I'm still seeing marked down Christmas items in stores. 70% off and no takers. This is the first time I've seen this.

Also noticed steaks marked down, guess peeps are buying them at full price anymore?
    Hmmm. Steak in my local grocery store jumped up by a whopping $2/pound this week. After last summer's drought, the prediction was that beef prices would drop as steer are culled in mass quantities, and then rise once the initial supply is absorbed.

Maybe you are seeing the last of the drop, and I am seeing the first of the rise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Maybe you are seeing the last of the drop, and I am seeing the first of the rise.
    My post above should have said aren't buying at full price. typo!!

That's why they are marked down from the original high price. Still sitting there til the store throws them out even at the mark down price.
    "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." --Mae West

Yes! My avatar is always a photo from my adventures.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MNeagle View Post
    Drive-up ATM @ bank now gives out $50 bills, which is new/odd. Not sure if it's common @ reg/non-bank atms.

I assume these are subject to 'the pen'? Not sure I like the added scrutiny that a 50 brings...
    there are now atm's that dispense $1's, $5's and coins even!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months

Silver will have its day...