Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Credit card sized gold bullion

Thanks
    Thanked 4,380 Times in 2,414 Posts

Credit card sized gold bullion

I was just thinking. Wouldn't it be cool if you had a piece of gold bullion the exact size and shape as a standard credit card? Then you could carry it around in your wallet among your other cards in case you ever needed it for anything.

Maybe have perforations where you could cut it or break it into 10ths. I calculate the piece would need to be 0.75 mm thick to make an ounce.

Silver
    Thanks

Re: Credit card sized gold bullion

i remember, some 10-12 years ago , one ounce gold bars with calendar on it and the logo on the other side.
    it was the same size like a credit card.
    it was on 47 street( diamond district ) new york. don't think they produce it anymore.
    try these instead : http://www.valcambi.com/products/combibar-au.asp
    Trau Keinem Fuchs Auf Gruener Heid Und Keinem Jud Bei Seinem Eid

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vacuum View Post
    I was just thinking. Wouldn't it be cool if you had a piece of gold bullion the exact size and shape as a standard credit card? Then you could carry it around in your wallet among your other cards in case you ever needed it for anything.

Maybe have perforations where you could cut it or break it into 10ths. I calculate the piece would need to be 0.75 mm thick to make an ounce.
    That's a great idea! I'd buy some.
    The more you live, the less you will die. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ If you want to be somebody else, change your mind.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Damn I wanna steal your idea now, but I know nothing of metal forging/working or whatever its called. Could be a profitable endeavor.

beefsteak

Don't need metal forging experience, per se'. Consider starting here instead...with a simple roller mill (can be picked up for less than 2/10ths ounce used) Check this out for an example of a working roller mill op.

By the 1:40 mark, looks to be approximately thin enough for stamping and then snipping/separating into individual smaller artistic ingots.

beefsteak

Thanks

1oz Englehard bars almost fit the bill, but I'd hate to lose my wallet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 607 Posts

beefsteak

Not perf'd, Sparky....scored on both sides.

Pure gold ANYTHING will not "snap" apart, it bends. That being fact, logic dictates some sort of cutting device would need to be used at point of sale.

One of their selling points is that there is no "fragments" from separation. If it were brittle enough --which 24K is NOT--- then the very act of snapping it apart WILL--I can guarantee you--would generate fragments.

Simple fact: a single Au mg fragment is worth: $0.052 per teensy fragment. That's a piece of Double Bubble, yes?

A simple pair of FISKAR scissors will EASILY cut / separate gold neck chain links such as the dainty ones the ladies wear when displaying the pendants which are baled and chains slipped through.

On one of the "details pix" for the silver CombiBars, it was easy to see the jagged, raw edge on the rim of the separated segment. That's how I knew it was scored from both sides.

Also, noted each non-CombiBar, single gram Valcambi minted/stamped Au ingot unit for sale was sporting a $20 premium per gram as of this morning's $1616 Friday close, based upon their product pricing page.

Saving the premium by NOT purchasing 10, single-gram gold units, one could easily acquire a used roller mill and make their own segmented for swapping trading pieces, and in smaller, stamped sizes than 1 gram.

Think TRUE bit(ty)coins.....LOL

beefsteak

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1345389979
    TWO examples of beveled,
    scored segments showing
    jagged, rough edges clearly
    visible.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beefsteak View Post
    That being fact, logic dictates some sort of cutting device would need to be used at point of sale.
    Not a good sales point.

Most vendors would not want something sharp readily available, at the point of sale.

That could be used against them.

For this use (as with most cases) is the perfection only found in Silver.

beefsteak

New, imported, unit, with excellent photos, dimensions clearly identified in multiple views...
    $289, FREE SHIPPING!

http://dbmimporters.com/ebay/rollingmillmachine-4.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolling-Mill...item2320e99a01

NO FINANCIAL INTEREST in this seller whatsoever. Just for illustration purposes.

beefsteak