PDA

View Full Version : Cow's milk is for calves

nunaem
26th January 2011, 05:00 PM
..And it turns them into big strong bulls. ;D

http://stronglifts.com/milk-post-workout-build-muscle-gains/

Milk: The Ultimate Post Workout Food.

Post workout nutrition is crucial for muscle recovery & rehydration. The common advice is to have whey after a weight lifting session because it’s a fast protein. You want to get protein in your muscles as fast as you can for recovery.

Truth or marketing from supplement companies? Fact is that many weight lifters have used milk as a post workout drink for years. After reading this post you’ll know why it’s the ultimate post workout food for many people.

Milk Content. 1 cup (250ml) whole milk contains 8g protein, 13g carbs & 8g fat for a total of 150kcal. 1 cup also has 290mg calcium & 107g sodium. This combo makes milk perfect for lean body mass gains & recovery. Full content:

* Casein. Slow digesting protein. Milk consists for 80% of casein, a dairy protein that keeps you full longer and helps fat loss & muscle repair.
* Whey. Fast digesting protein. Milk consists for 20% of whey which helps muscle repair. This is the same kind of whey you find in protein shakes.
* BCAA. Milk is rich in branched chain amino acids : leucine, isoleucine and valine. A diet rich in protein, especially dairy protein like milk, will get you plenty of BCAAs. No need to waste your money on supplements.
* Carbs. Milk contains lactose. Your body uses this sugar to replenish your energy stores. Some can’t digest lactose. Check the tips at the bottom.
* Fat. Unless you go fat-free, milk contains 1 to 3g fat per 100ml. Fats digest slowly and keep you full longer, thus decreasing hunger.
* Calcium. Dairy calcium increases fat loss & improves bone health. The latter is especially important if you’re a woman (osteoporosis).
* Water. Milk is about 87% water. Proper hydration improves muscle recovery and can increase strength by preventing fatigue & stalling.
* Electrolytes. Milk contains sodium & potassium. These minerals improve re-hydration by retaining the fluids you consume post workout.
* Nutrients. Biotin, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin B-12, vitamin D, vitamin K, riboflavin and many others (naturally or through fortification).

5 Reasons You Should Drink Milk Post Workout.

1. Muscle Gains. Research shows a mix of slow and fast digesting protein is superior for lean body mass gains. Milk is 80% casein, 20% whey.
2. Fat Loss. Dairy calcium increases fat loss. The fat in milk keeps you full longer which decreases hunger and thus helps you to lose fat.
3. Recovery. Milk is a fluid and has electrolytes. Research shows milk is superior to water and sport drinks for rehydration post workout.
4. Cheap. When you consider the protein (whey/casein/BCAA) and calorie content of milk, it’s one of the cheapest foods available.
5. Easy. Milk requires zero preparation. 1 quarter (1 liter) milk can be a perfect post workout meal depending on your daily caloric needs.

Milk vs Whey. Some people still believe you need whey post workout. Probably because supplement companies keep pushing it. But studies show slow protein OR a mix of slow & fast protein is superior for lean body mass gains.

Whey is a fast protein. While milk is a combination of slow & fast protein (casein & whey). That’s why milk post workout is superior to whey but also to soy milk for lean body mass gains: whey & soy milk are fast digesting proteins.

If you don’t drink milk, the point is that a slow OR mix of slow & fast protein is better post workout. So even meat, poultry or fish is better than whey. Turns out many people have used solid meals post workout with success.

I haven’t used whey since a long time. I have milk post workout and/or a solid meal that consists of meat, grains & some fats. Exodus shared in this post that he got ripped using a similar kind of post workout meal.

Milk vs Sports Drinks. Strength training causes water loss through sweating. Rehydration is crucial for muscle recovery since dehydration can cause stalling. Signs of dehydration: fatigue & headaches (think hangovers).

Studies show milk is superior to water and sport drinks for rehydration. Here’s why: milk is rich in sodium & potassium which retain fluid, but also in protein & fat which slow digestion. Less hunger, longer hydration.

I don’t recommend sport drinks if you do strength training. Their sugar content will make you fat. Have a solid meal and/or milk and drink plenty of water post workout. Sport drinks are for endurance athletes, not weight lifters.

Whole Milk vs Fat Free Milk. Studies show whole milk causes more lean body mass gains than fat free milk. Since slower protein is better post workout, this could be why whole milk is superior: its fat content could slow absorption.

The fat in whole milk makes it tastier than fat free milk & keeps you full longer. So you’ll tend to eat less with whole milk and be less hungry. Although the fat content in whole milk can be an issue since it’s more caloric dense.

* Whole milk: 30g protein, 40g carbs, 35g fat, 600kcal. [I don't know where they got their info for this, it should be 52g carbs and 32g fat]
* Low fat milk: 30g protein, 40g carbs, 10g fat, 370kcal.
* Non fat milk: 30g protein, 40g carbs, 0g fat, 280kcal.
* Low fat choco milk: 30g protein, 115g carbs, 10g fat, 670kcal.

Nutritional values are for 1 quart (1 liter) milk.

Milk Recommendations for Fat Loss. To lose fat, you need to eat less calories and/or burn more calories. Milk won’t make you fat. Neither will the fat content in fatty milk make you fat. Only excess calories cause fat gains.

Smoothing is possible when introducing milk in your diet (read below). But this isn’t fat gain. No food can make you fat if you have a caloric deficit. Just like any food, including protein, can cause fat gains when you have a caloric excess.

Research clearly shows that whole milk causes more lean body mass gains than non fat milk. Which proves fat doesn’t make you fat. Excess calories do. As long as you have a caloric deficit, it doesn’t matter if you drink non fat or whole milk.

So which milk you should drink post workout depends on your caloric needs for fat loss, which depend on your body-weight most. Example:

* If you’re 220lbs, you need about 2800kcal/day to lose fat. 1 quart whole milk post workout leaves room for 2200kcal the rest of the day.
* But if you’re 160lbs, you need about 1900kcal/day for fat loss. 1 quart whole milk only leaves 1300kcal. Or only 325kcal/meal if you eat 4x/day. Smaller meals don’t fill your stomach and could cause hunger.

So if you’re on the lighter side and need to lose fat, you have 2 options:

1. Drink smaller quantities whole milk: 1 cup has 150kcal, 2 cups 300kcal.
2. Drink low fat milk: 1 quart has 370kcal, 2 cups 185kcal.

Everything depends on your caloric needs for fat loss. Rule of thumb: 13kcal/lb of body-weight (or 11kcal/lb if you’re a woman). Do the math and make the milk fit within your caloric needs.

I recommend low fat milk over non fat milk because the difference in calories is insignificant. Low fat milk has only 90kcal more when you drink 1 quart and only 45kcal more when you drink 2 cups. Not a big deal.

On top of that, research shows that fattier milk causes more lean body mass. So drink low fat milk if you can’t make whole milk fit in your diet. Remember to drink milk post workout only if you follow the 8 nutrition rules, milk has carbs.

Milk Recommendations for Weight Gain. To gain weight, you need to have a caloric excess: eat more calories and/or burn less calories. Since burning less calories is hard to do, this means you have to eat more.

So it makes sense to drink 1 quart whole milk post workout: more calories and according to research more lean body mass gains. A more extreme version of this is obviously GOMAD: gallon of whole milk a day.

Chocolate milk could work too calorie wise. But it could be less effective than whole milk since it has less fat. Chocolate milk also seems to constipate.

Quick Tips. Some people can’t digest lactose. And many people experience smoothing from milk which they always mistake for fat gains. Tips:

* Lactose Intolerance. Take lactase pills with your milk if you get gas or diarrhea. Avoid lactaid-free milk: it’s convenient but more expensive.
* Smoothing. Milk is rich in sodium. Going from low to high sodium intakes causes water retention. Solution: increase your sodium intake. Eat more dairy products, eat pickles, supplement with real sea salt.

nunaem
26th January 2011, 05:09 PM
A study was done with cats drinking nothing but pasteurized milk. Over 3-4 generations their offspring gradually became more sickly until they lost the ability to reproduce. A few months on whole milk restored them to health.

What type of milk was the pasteurized milk, skim, whole, ? And was the milk that restored them to health raw whole milk?

It's not good to drink skim milk, lactose is very high glycemic and the fat in milk is supposed to slow the blood sugar spike.

nunaem
26th January 2011, 05:31 PM
Raw food is indeed superior. Jack Lalanne understood this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quS1bd-YRIY&feature=player_embedded

2:48 "undercook your food students"

hoarder
26th January 2011, 06:41 PM
I don't drink milk because I can't find raw milk from cows that haven't been injected with antibiotics and hormones. Milk worth drinking is not accessible to 99.99% of Americans. I'm looking to make friends with some Amish for this reason.

hoarder
26th January 2011, 07:16 PM
Make sure you convince them that you aren't part of a USDA undercover sting operation.
Exactly! I have heard that some people sell shares in cows as a way to sell milk in the Bitterroot valley. A (big) gal who got her milk this way told me she lost 27 pounds drinking raw milk several years ago without any other change in her diet.

hoarder
26th January 2011, 07:35 PM
Back in the 70's my grandparents in Texas had a dairy cow and drank raw milk and made "clabber milk" something like yogurt. I didn't like either one because they didn't taste familiar to me. At this point I think I could overcome that.

k-os
26th January 2011, 08:38 PM
Call me crazy, but I can't get over the fact that it's not natural to drink another species' naturally (mother) generated baby food. No other species drinks another species milk (except for anomalies). I am sure it's just something psychological with me, but I don't drink milk. I haven't since I was a kid.

ShortJohnSilver
26th January 2011, 09:34 PM
Call me crazy, but I can't get over the fact that it's not natural to drink another species' naturally (mother) generated baby food. No other species drinks another species milk (except for anomalies). I am sure it's just something psychological with me, but I don't drink milk. I haven't since I was a kid.

Dunno, if it is available raccoons and lots of other animals will drink it.

Son-of-Liberty
29th January 2011, 01:50 PM
Dogs and cats love raw milk straight from the cow too.

Most of the old school bodybuilders before steroids used to drink a gallon or more of whole raw milk a day and it worked for them. Pasteurized milk does not have the same effect.

Raw milk is actually a wonder food. Because baby animals do not have fully functioning digestive systems mothers milk is packed full of enzymes to help with the digestion and assimilation of the proteins fats and carbohydrates. There are also a variety of other peptides, growth factors, and antibodies that help the baby to stay healthy and grow better.

I live in Canada and am having trouble getting raw milk myself. I know where I can get street drugs easy but thanks to the government not many farmers are willing to take the risk to sell one of the healthiest foods there is.

Pretty sad.

nunaem
29th January 2011, 02:11 PM
Dogs and cats love raw milk straight from the cow too.

Most of the old school bodybuilders before steroids used to drink a gallon or more of whole raw milk a day and it worked for them. Pasteurized milk does not have the same effect.

Raw milk is actually a wonder food. Because baby animals do not have fully functioning digestive systems mothers milk is packed full of enzymes to help with the digestion and assimilation of the proteins fats and carbohydrates. There are also a variety of other peptides, growth factors, and antibodies that help the baby to stay healthy and grow better.

I live in Canada and am having trouble getting raw milk myself. I know where I can get street drugs easy but thanks to the government not many farmers are willing to take the risk to sell one of the healthiest foods there is.

Pretty sad.

Yes, it's maddening. I can buy a stupefying, poisonous pseudo-food in almost every convenience store here. But a natural food is nowhere to be found.

I swear, one of these days I'm gonna overthrow the government.

Antonio
29th January 2011, 02:37 PM
When I was a semi-pro powerlifter in Russia at 17yrs old, we used to drink about a gallon of real milk or yogurt (kefir or sour milk) plus a liter of heavy cream or sour cream every day. Plus a wholesome dinner with about a pound of heavy black bread.

If you left a bottle of USSR-made milk in the fridge, it wouldn`t spoil but would become delicious sour milk where you would see separation of casein from the clear whey solution. Some of the strongest Armenian lifters drank this sour clear whey exclusively,leaving behind the heavy casein.

I could go on and on about nutrition,will start a giant thread about it some day.

ShortJohnSilver
30th January 2011, 03:07 PM
How about POWDERED MILK ?

It's leftover slaughter house BLOOD that has the white corpuscles removed from the blood & then DRIED.

Powdered milk is in alot of different packaged foods.

Do you have a link for that info?

BrewTech
30th January 2011, 05:46 PM

Dunno, if it is available raccoons and lots of other animals will drink it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb__daXOQJ0

ShortJohnSilver
30th January 2011, 06:13 PM
How about POWDERED MILK ?

It's leftover slaughter house BLOOD that has the white corpuscles removed from the blood & then DRIED.

Powdered milk is in alot of different packaged foods.

Do you have a link for that info?

http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/nursing1803.cfm

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/dangers-of-cows-milk/

http://www.all-creatures.org/health/list.html

I am a little confused, in that I was talking about the use of blood in powdered milk as a specific thing that is done.

The first link talks about powdered blood being added to milk replacer that is fed to cows, not humans (still should not be done, I agree!) - this is not the powdered milk that ends up on the store shelf.

The second link is a better argument, however, does not deal with powdered milk, but all milk - it is an argument against drinking pretty much any milk in the USA, whole, skim, or powdered.

The last link doesn't cover powdered milk at all.

For myself, I only buy non-rbst milk from local dairies. I may look into raw milk as there are some farmers who offer that.

Book
30th January 2011, 07:14 PM
Call me crazy, but I can't get over the fact that it's not natural to drink another species' naturally (mother) generated baby food. No other species drinks another species milk (except for anomalies).

http://sircolby.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/opposable-thumb.jpg

They lack an opposable thumb necessary to milk a cow. They would if they could.

:)

ShortJohnSilver
30th January 2011, 08:27 PM
Sorry if the links don't come out and say it straight out. I have no concrete words in black & white to show you at this moment.

First link...... if they are taking the cow's blood and turning it into a milk powder & feeding it to the calves then they can easily feed milk powder to us.

The second link specifically says that the USDA allows 1.5 million white blood cells per milliliter of regular milk that people drink everyday.
(if they're admitting to that blood being in the regular milk, then that should get you wondering more)

The third link has milk powder listed under products made from milk, then under products made from blood it says, whipped topping, coffee whiteners, pasta, gravy mixes, cake mixes & bonemeal.

Thanks OHL, it is something to watch out for! I will try to do the math to determine how many white blood cells there would be in a mL in order to get a percentage of allowable blood if 1.5 million is the limit.

Son-of-Liberty
31st January 2011, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know much about Raw milk cheese? Is it as good for you as Raw milk? You can get cheese here in Canada made from unpasteurized milk if it has been aged 60 days but I wonder if they heat the milk in the cheese making process to the point where it ruins the health benefits.

Tried doing a little research on this myself but haven' been able to come up with any definitive answers. Some of the websites point out that the enzymes that help to break down lactose are still intact but I am more concerned with the enzymes that help to digest the fat and the growth factors. I don't have trouble digesting lactose anyway.

Trying to figure this out before starting to consume large quantities of raw milk cheese.

Dogman
31st January 2011, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know much about Raw milk cheese? Is it as good for you as Raw milk? You can get cheese here in Canada made from unpasteurized milk if it has been aged 60 days but I wonder if they heat the milk in the cheese making process to the point where it ruins the health benefits.

Tried doing a little research on this myself but haven' been able to come up with any definitive answers. Some of the websites point out that the enzymes that help to break down lactose are still intact but I am more concerned with the enzymes that help to digest the fat and the growth factors. I don't have trouble digesting lactose anyway.

Trying to figure this out before starting to consume large quantities of raw milk cheese.

If it was made with unpasteurized milk , the milk was not heated.

Son-of-Liberty
31st January 2011, 11:49 AM
The first ingredient is unpasteurized milk. I thought that during the cheese making process the milk was heated at some point though. That is what I am concerned about.

Dogman
31st January 2011, 11:51 AM
The first ingredient is unpasteurized milk. I thought that during the cheese making process the milk was heated at some point though. That is what I am concerned about.

All the cheese I am aware of is not heated during or after it has been made.

Son-of-Liberty
31st January 2011, 12:02 PM
Found this here.

http://www.moonwiseherbs.com/cheesepage.htm

I would also occasionally purchase "raw milk" cheese. One day I was at a local farmers market talking to a vendor who was selling "raw milk" cheese and she informed me that they actually do low heat pasteurize the milk and that legally they can label their product "raw milk" cheese. Not all producers do this, many small artisan producers do make truly raw milk cheese, but many of the larger scale producers (even organic) are using this practice. If the cheese is not pasteurized it is required that it be aged for at least 60 days (theoretically the acid level would be high enough at this point to eliminate potentially harmful bacteria). Fresh cheese (not aged) that is made with raw milk cannot be purchased.

This also

http://organicvalley.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/organicvalley.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=104

The difference in our "raw milk" cheeses is in the way our pasture-raised cow's milk is processed before the cheese making even begins. Referred to as "sub-pasteurization," our organic milk is "heat treated" to the threshold of pasteurization without actually being pasteurized.

It appears that when you are buying cheese that is made commercially. Unpasteurized milk is often still heat treated. Lying bastards.

Son-of-Liberty
31st January 2011, 12:07 PM
I did find this. Looks like the milk needs to be heated only slightly when making your own cheddar ( which at those temps should be safe) but can you trust the cheese makers.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5484368_cheddar-cheese-curd-making.html

Making Curds
# The first step in making cheddar curds is to heat the milk. Warm it to 35 to 40 degrees Celsius (95 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit).

I am going to keep trying to find a source for actual raw milk.

nunaem
31st January 2011, 02:36 PM
Cheese made from raw milk should have a distinct flavor, unlike any cheese made from pasteurized milk.

horseshoe3
23rd February 2011, 01:31 PM

The milk is heated to ~100 degrees for curdling. Not coincidentally, this is the same temperature as a calf's stomach. In fact, rennet used to be made from the lining of a calf's stomach. It's also the same temperature that it came out of the cow, so all hte flora and fauna are still alive.

horseshoe3
23rd February 2011, 01:33 PM
I was raised on raw milk. We had 50 Holsteins with several Guernseys thrown in to increase the butterfat content.

A local guy from Wisconsin said he was back for a visit a couple years ago. He stopped at an ex neighbors farm where he used to purchase raw milk and asked to buy a couple of gallons. The farmer sold it to him but told him he would not like the taste. Something about the way he was feeding them that required pasteurization to get back to a natural flavor. He bought the milk but said it really did not taste very good, not like he remembered.

Molasses is used to increase the energy density on a lot of dairies and it has a huge effect on taste. Pasturisation will fix that though. If it has no taste, it can't taste bad - right?