PDA

View Full Version : Not absorbing Vitamin D

Luis337
10th February 2011, 02:33 PM
My girlfriend saw a doctor about a year ago who told her she has a Vitamin D deficiency. The doctor put her on a very high dose of Vitamin D for a year. She recently went for a test to see how they were and the prescription hasn't had any effect on her Vitamin D levels.

It's something that runs in her family, stemming from her grandfather. Has anyone dealt with anything like this before? She drinks milk, eats cheese, ice cream, etc., but her body doesn't absorb it.

ximmy
10th February 2011, 02:54 PM
Wow.. the first thing that came to my mind is find another doctor...

Hopefully the Old Weed Lady ::) will see this and have some good ideas for you... :)

k-os
10th February 2011, 02:54 PM
My girlfriend saw a doctor about a year ago who told her she has a Vitamin D deficiency. The doctor put her on a very high dose of Vitamin D for a year. She recently went for a test to see how they were and the prescription hasn't had any effect on her Vitamin D levels.

It's something that runs in her family, stemming from her grandfather. Has anyone dealt with anything like this before? She drinks milk, eats cheese, ice cream, etc., but her body doesn't absorb it.

Hi Luis337! Well, your post explains where you've been, I suppose! ;)

Does she get out in the sun at all? 15 minutes a day would be good.

ximmy
10th February 2011, 02:55 PM

Hi Luis337! Well, your post explains where you've been, I suppose! ;)

Does she get out in the sun at all? 15 minutes a day would be good.

I didn't mean you K-os... Your just the weed girl :P :o

willie pete
10th February 2011, 03:13 PM
^^^lol :D

Luis.....how much body-fat does your novia have?

Luis337
10th February 2011, 04:16 PM
Hey K-os. Sorry I haven't been to chat lately...
Me & her have been spending a lot of time together.
I see her almost every day and it's great.

She does get out in the sun too. It's a deficiency that comes
not from lack of Vitamin D being accessible but from her
body just not absorbing it.

Willie Pete,
she is bulky due to a pregnancy about two years ago
and a mix of hard studying.

k-os
10th February 2011, 04:44 PM
Glad to hear you are happy and having fun!

My understanding is that Vitamin D is absorbed differently through the sun than through ingestion. But, I don't really know anything, and I remember even less of what I know . . . so there's that. ;D

Luis337
10th February 2011, 05:06 PM
I think around 50,000 IUs

ximmy
10th February 2011, 05:27 PM
Hello Old Weed Lady :D

Hi !! That's cute !! Thanks alot Xim !! I love weeds, though. I can pull 'em out of cracks in between the sidewalk
and make a concoction any ole time ! Weeds growing in the garden are like presents !!!

they are gifts that keep on giving...

Son-of-Liberty
10th February 2011, 06:15 PM
Hey Luis. Don't know too much about people having having issues with absorbing vitamin D. Where do you live about? I do know that in the winter when the sun is low in the sky even if you are getting some sun it might not be intense enough for your body to make vitamin D. If you are in a more northern area there is a good chance the sun does not have the proper intensity. Plus there is all the haze most days from the chemtrails as well. Also the vitamin D the body makes is actually on the surface of the skin and takes a while to absorb through the skin. If you get some sun and then take a shower soon after you will wash the vitamin D away. If the prescription stuff is not working for her I would recommend tanning. Make sure she doesn't shower soon after tanning. Tanning at night and shower in morning or tanning in morning and shower at night would be best. If she is worried about germs in the tanning bed she could use a stand up. I tan when I can in the winter.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

Luis337
11th February 2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. However, she can spend hours in the sun and her body just doesn't retain the vitamin D. This is in south Florida. When she was put on the 50,000 IU last year it worked for her for two weeks and then it stopped working. Magnesium deficiency has not shown up on her test results as a factor either.

Shami-Amourae
12th February 2011, 12:54 AM
Consider taking calcium supplements with Vitamin D, and taking it all in liquid form. The liquid form of most vitamins/supplements typically has a higher absorption rate, so it may be a good alternative. Dr. Mercola came up with a Vitamin D spray you might want to check out:

Spray Vitamin D:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU506/ItemDetail

Also consider getting this too to get more Vitamin D, and help absorb it better:

Liquid Calcium, Magnesium, & Vitamin D
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/CRL390/ItemDetail

Shami-Amourae
12th February 2011, 01:13 AM
I'd also like to mention there's different ways you can take vitamins/supplements. Let me rank from the MOST to LEAST absorbable:
1.) Fresh Juice/Liquid
2.) Food
3.) Capsules
4.) Tablets

I do a mixture of the top three with all supplements and avoid tablets altogether. When I say tablets, I mean the solid pills. Capsules are the ones with the gel caps with the powder inside. Those still aren't the best absorptionwise, but they are the best for your buck/hassle if you're doing a lot of vitamins/supplementation.

Foods with high levels of Vitamin D:

Egg yolks
Fish liver oil
Dandelion greens <---Consider making dandelion juice!
Sweet potatoes
Salmon
Sardines
Cod
Shrimp

You may also want to check this out, if you're girlfriend has any of these medications conflicting with Vitamin D:
[quote]
Source (http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=110)
What medications affect vitamin D?

The following medications impact the absorption, utilization, and/or activation of vitamin D:

Anticonvulsant medications, including Dilantin, are used to control seizure activity in people with epilepsy and brain cancer, and those who have suffered head trauma through injury or stroke. These medications decrease the activity of vitamin D.
Bile acid sequestrants (Cholestyramine, Colestipol) are a class of drugs used to lower cholesterol levels. These drugs may reduce the intestinal absorption of the fat-soluble nutrients, including vitamins A, D, E, and K.
Cimetidine (Tagamet and Tagamet HB) prevents the release of hydrochloric acid into the stomach and is used to treat the symptoms associated with stomach and duodenal ulcers and acid reflux. This drug may reduce vitamin D activation by the liver.
Hormone replacement therapy may increase blood levels of vitamin D.
The corticosteroids are a family of anti-inflammatory drugs, including hydrocortisone and prednisone, that are commonly used in the treatment of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, such as asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, and ulcerative colitis. These drugs reduce the activation of vitamin D.
Heparin, an anticoagulant prescription medication used to prevent blood clots after surgery, may interfere with vitamin D activation.

Luis337
21st March 2011, 08:01 PM
She just started her dose of 50,000 IU's of Vitamin D weekly. So she's taking one 50,000 IU pill every week. Hopefully she will get better and yes she does have thyroid problems.

sunnyandseventy
22nd March 2011, 04:46 AM
I've been working with a naturopathic doc and a nutritionist. Both have been a huge help. There could be a simple explanation for this.

Try another doctor.

BrewTech
22nd March 2011, 06:44 AM
I've been working with a naturopathic doc and a nutritionist. Both have been a huge help. There could be a simple explanation for this.

Try another doctor.

There is a simple explanation... and with some due diligence the solution will be found. Again, the folks on this forum can be (and have been IMO) a great help.

An important thing to ask oneself when considering health issues (and a doctor's ability to address them) is this:

Is it likely that the root cause of my health issue a LACK of whatever it is that a doctor wants to prescribe to me?

k-os
29th March 2011, 07:59 PM
An important thing to ask oneself when considering health issues (and a doctor's ability to address them) is this:

Is it likely that the root cause of my health issue a LACK of whatever it is that a doctor wants to prescribe to me?

Good point!