PDA

View Full Version : Potato - pain relief for burns

Glass
9th December 2011, 09:18 AM
I suffered a burn to part of a hand. Grabbed some hot metal. The burn was quite deep based on the pain that went with it. Under cold running water was ok but a couple hours of that wasn't going to work.

Memories remind me potato sooths burns......maybe. Cut some potato, cut a groove in cut surface for finger to rest in. Instant pain relief better than the running water. Wrap some duct tape and we're good to go.

4 hours and a nap later it's all good pain wise. The burns are clearly visible now. I am very surprised at how well the potato relieved the pain just through contact. I'm also a bit stunned at how deeply it burned with so short contact.

So remember no matter how you say it..... potato good pain relief for burns.

Dogman
9th December 2011, 09:21 AM
I suffered a burn to part of a hand. Grabbed some hot metal. The burn was quite deep based on the pain that went with it. Under cold running water was ok but a couple hours of that wasn't going to work.

Memories remind me potato sooths burns......maybe. Cut some potato, cut a groove in cut surface for finger to rest in. Instant pain relief better than the running water. Wrap some duct tape and we're good to go.

4 hours and a nap later it's all good pain wise. The burns are clearly visible now. I am very surprised at how well the potato relieved the pain just through contact. I'm also a bit stunned at how deeply it burned with so short contact.

So remember no matter how you say it..... potato good pain relief for burns. Ice works well also, if applied soon enough.

Heimdhal
9th December 2011, 10:01 AM
I never knew that about potatoes, thanks for the tip. Around here (south florida, I guess the south in general) almost everyone has an aloe vera plant handy.

For me, thats been the best burn relief, whether from heat or chemical. Cut a branch off, slice it in half and put the good gooey insides right on the burn. Instant relief and generaly takes healing time down from days to a few hours. Every few hours reapply a little more and by the next morning everything from sunburns to 2nd degree burns are usualy better.

Glass
9th December 2011, 02:59 PM
Great suggestions. I think the idea is to disapate the heat as fast as possible so it's not cooking your flesh.

I did the bag of frozen vegtables thing. Didn't have any ice. I was disappointed with that I can tell you. lesson there.

Aloe vera for sure. I have actually just aquired one. It was on the verge of dead when I got it. Now it has a nice green tinge but it's still pretty weak. A while before I can take anything off it.

hoarder
9th December 2011, 03:53 PM
Old oilfield welders used to grate raw taters and put them on their eyes when they suffered from too much flash.

Dogman
9th December 2011, 04:10 PM
Old oilfield welders used to grate raw taters and put them on their eyes when they suffered from too much flash. Been there and done that, potato juice would help a bunch. Plus can not remember the correct name, for the eye drops, sure it is outlawed now, something that sounds like "beutin" would knock the pain right out, but you could gouge your eye out and not feel it, good stuff.

muffin
10th December 2011, 07:01 AM
Ugh, wish I would have known this last week. I had a real blonde moment. I put the oven mitt on my right hand but grabbed the hot pan with my left.... I just sat around the rest of the evening holding a frozen water bottle. That helped.