Thread: Zastava M76

Thanks

Zastava M76

Zastava M76

The arms company Zastava released the M76 in the mid-1970s. Since then it has become the standard issue sharpshooter rifle in the Serbian army and its predecessor the Yugoslav National Army (JNA). It is designed to fulfill the same role as the Soviet Dragunov SVD, which is to provide a designated marksman capability to the infantry platoon. During the Yugoslav Wars of the 1990s, it was used by several sides; it saw action in croatia, Bosnia and Kosovo.

I acquired two M76 rifles. One from Century is a 8mm Mauser and the other from Assault Weapons of Ohio in 7.62x51 NATO/.308 Win.)

M76 (8mm Mauser top, 7.62x51 bottom)

M76 (7.62x51 top, 8mm Mauser bottom)

MEN German NATO 7.62x51 surplus

The 7.62x51 at 100 yards was fairly decent though I tried to sight in under less than optimum conditions - high winds. Hopefully when I get time I will dial it in better.

- Black Blade

DMac

Re: Zastava M76

Appreciate the reviews BB. I've been eying a Dragunov SVD (that or Remington 700) for my collection, I will need to look into Zastava as well it seems.

Thanks

very nice BB!

What did they run you? Dont see lots of 8mm mauser chamberings anymore, very nice.

Have you checked out the new Vepr's? I was strongly considering getting one in x54r this year.
    If someone asks you what good is a hi-cap MAG ban when there are millions of them already around and you answer, "well clips can't be reused" you're switching into full retard mode. -MadFranks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,535 Times in 1,313 Posts

Is 8mm Mauser steel core ammo still available? That might be an advantage when body armor clad Chinese troops invade us.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdhal View Post
    very nice BB!

What did they run you? Dont see lots of 8mm mauser chamberings anymore, very nice.

Have you checked out the new Vepr's? I was strongly considering getting one in x54r this year.
    The 8mm I got a few years ago at about $1100 and the .308 at about $1600. The 8mm is still around from Century (thru J&G Sales and SOG) for about $1000. Sending the 8mm to Assault Weapons of Ohio to get "tuned" and a few small adjustments to correct small mistakes made by Century contractors. Perhaps one day I will get a NDM-86 or Tigr SVD. The M75 Yugo 8mm Mauser ammo is still availbale at Wideners and Century and occassionally at J&G.

Thanks

A friend of mine has a Tigr SVD. I can tell you, its a VERY nice gun. Another good friend has a PSL and I was able on the few occasions we were all together, shoot them side by side.

The Tigr of course blows teh PSL out of the water. Its action is butter smooth, its trigger very nice (now, this gun had had a LITTLE work on it, but not much). Very, very well built rifle. The price is a bit steep, but it is fine piece of machinery.

From what I understand, the Vepr's really close the gap between the PSL and SVD. They are fairly new on the market though, so I wanted to give them some more time. That and they only have 5 round factory mags available is less than desirable.
    If someone asks you what good is a hi-cap MAG ban when there are millions of them already around and you answer, "well clips can't be reused" you're switching into full retard mode. -MadFranks

Great Value Carrots LuckyStrike's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
    and the .308 at about $1600.
    What are the advantages of this gun over a FAL? Or M14?
    http://www.truthinourtime.com/

"Speed is the only truly modern pleasure" - Aldous Huxley